cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Backup Exec 12 backup encrypted virtual machines(VMWare)?

IsmaelR
Level 2

I use Backup Exec 12 to backup the VMware environmet (20 Servers) and I need to encrypt all the VM's. Anyone knows of an encryption product that will work with Backup Exec? I know I can encrypt the backup, but can I back up an already encrypted VM?

Environment info;

1. Backup Exec 2012
  2. SQL, Web server, File server, etc
  3. ESXi 5.1
  4. MSA 2040 SAN
  5. Using local storage for some of our dev servers
  6. HP Proliant DL 360 servers using fibre connected to SAN
  7. Vcenter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In this case, no.  BE does not do block level backup.  It does only file level backup. This applies to any version of BE.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have not seen any statement of support for backing up encrypted VM.  In order to check with Veritas whether this is possible, you would need to know which encryption product you are using which even you don't know.

BTW, BE 12 and BE 2012 are two different versions of BE do not confuse the two.  Also, BE 2012 is quite old and you should upgrade to the latest version, BE 15 before attempting any encryption of your VM.

IsmaelR
Level 2

Thanks for the info, we are planning to upgrade to BE 15 in a few months. I called BE yesterday and asked if I could use Symantec Encryption Desktop Corporate to encrypt the disk on the VM's but they told me I won't be able to backup after encryption. There's a product called HyTrust DataControl that can encrypt the VM's and you can backup after encryption using any back up tool that uses block level back up, not a file level back up. Can this be done in BE 15?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you need to confirm this with Veritas. No sense in buying something that renders your backups unuseable if BE can't do that.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In this case, no.  BE does not do block level backup.  It does only file level backup. This applies to any version of BE.

IsmaelR
Level 2

Maybe I'm confused but BE 15 DOES block level backup;

https://www.veritas.com/content/dam/Veritas/docs/other-resources/21347843_GA_ENT_FLYER-Veritas-Backup-Exec-15-Top-Reasons-to-Buy_EN.pdf

CraigV

pkh's statement is right...if you encrypt the VM, BE will not back it up. It has to be on a file level.

BE can do block-based backups of VMs that are not encrypted.

Thanks!

IsmaelR
Level 2

Thanks for the explanation. Now, there has to be a way to encrypt a VM and sucesfully back it up. There's multiple GOV agencies that use VM encryption and I'm sure they backup their servers. Maybe not with BE but maybe with another software. Any ideas?

CraigV

Google is your answer here...this is a Veritas forum and it wouldn't be proper to offer a competing product.

Thanks!

victor_morgan
Level 2

HI there,

I am currently using Backup Exec 10.0 and is currently busy addressing PoPi (Protection Of Personal Information) requirements with regards to unauthorised access. Can you advise when performing the backups, is the data stored in such a manner making it difficult/or impossible to access the data without the use of Backup Exec software itself?

Regards

Victor