cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Database can be restored temporarily - when server failed?

newhouse
Level 2

Well currently we got stuck in the captioned situation, and got very frustrated in passed couple weeks.  My only question is, is it possible to restore the database before original server recovered?

Let me elaborate a little more.  Backup Exec 15 was set up at our only server several years ago, which went well until couple weeks ago.  The mainboard of Lenovo blade type server much likely reached the end of its life, and it turns out a long period of pending time for new spare part delivery.

The backup data has been stored in a NAS directly connected to the server, with LAN cable, and it functions well throughout the time.

After the server failed, we have been asking around if the database in NAS can be restored, for the temporary use, while most activities in company simply stopped.  The Backup Exec dealers in town cannot give us a solution, which raise our doubt, whether it is impossible to restore without original hardware, or the cost would be very high, or certain condition must be matched, or what-so-ever.

This message is not written by IT expert, but just an user, so we are probably wrong technically.  Nevertheless, we feel that Backup Exec cannot properly protect data when we need it to.  It is a story from Hong Kong, and we hope to hear the answers from experts here.  Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

RogRubin
Employee

I am not sure if I understand your question correctly.
What sort of database do you referring too? The Backup Exec database or do you speak about an application database like Oracle, SQL or so?
In either case the underlying hardware should have no influence if you can or cannot restore a database (the Backup Exec database or a application database).
Can you clarify what database do you mean and a bit more about your question as you should be able to restore a database if you have backed it up.

The database referred above is "Backup Exec database".  They are the Full backup & incremental backups made by Backup Exec 15 over the time.

As we also believe that hardware should have minimum influence, however, we could not get the support from few  approved dealers we are working with.  Even though we are able to get a spare server running windows server 2012 R2, and even buy a license, if required, for the sake of resuming business activities, we just could not get the emergency solution and service.  Well it is worth to note that, we also cannot find related guideline from Veritas website, which is understandable.   The Windows versions, hardware, and software settings, are just different across users, and it is difficult to provide an universal guideline.

We hope that the database can be restored, like you said; as you can imagine how frustrated it is, the NAS with backup files is right beside us, and we have no idea how to use.

Thanks for the message, RogRubin!

newhouse
Level 2

I was expecting to hear from ideas from this community, yet unfortunately it is a bit quiet these days.

If anything I can do, or any information I can provide that help the fellows here to understand better, please tell me.  Also if there is any channel that can connect the Veritas, please kindly advise.

Thank you very much!

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

1. Install BE 15 ( same version and service pack ) on the new server or spare server that you arranged
2. Configure NAS Storage on BE as it was earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwZN89wA5O8&t=98s   ( 1min 41 sec it shows how to configure NAS share storage in BE)
3. Once device is configured from step 2 -> From storage Tab -> Highlight the device and run Inventory and 
catalog
4. When catalog job has completed, you should see backups sets in Storage Tab -> NAS Device -> Backup Sets
section.
5. At that point can you show us a screenshot of the database that you want to restore.
If it is BEDB backup set , then SQL BEDB can be restore to SQL instance and can be used ( we can give you more details once what set is to be restored is confirned)
If it is another application SQL Database even that can be restore to SQL Instance ( same SQL version must exist)
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016098