cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I ask a question about Videos added to Installation media?

PackMatt73
Level 4
Employee

I'm crowdsourcing here, so take a walk with me.

In your production environment, are you in a position to watch AND listen to videos that would include technical information about the solution you are installing?

Do your servers have

• video card
  • sound card
  • web access
  • media player

Would you prefer videos to be

• loaded on the media - both disc & downloaded ISO
  • links to solution website and/or YouTube

Is there anybody out there doing this really well? Anybody who is doing it poorly?  Do you use videos as reference resources?  How do you prefer to ingest them?

We are kicking around a couple of ideas and want some hardcore IT Pro style feedback.

Thanks!

PackMatt73

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
OUr servers have none of those...just the generic on-board GFX card for physical KVM connections. So no way to watch them from the server...also, would you want to watch videos while installing software in a production environment? Loading videos on disk would make that a rather large installation...either have them as downloads (after entering a license, you are given access to the files...download all or some!) or videos online. Thanks!

PackMatt73
Level 4
Employee

Thanks Craig...

We want folks to know where they are so we are looking for the best place to put them.  Links will always be available, but we are looking to see if there are other ways users want to be able to consume them.

Thanks for the feedback!  It is going directly to Product Mgmt & Engineering.

Matt

teiva-boy
Level 6

True servers have NO sound cards.  The video card is an Intel varient that is very low powered and only allocates a minimum amount of RAM.  So no HD here stuff here.

While the videos on the ISO are nice to have, it really made the download painful at times.

I'd rather have an ISO that didn't have those, and one that did.  I'd like the one that didn't have the videos to link back to your site or a Youtube channel (Not preferred).  Though putting playback codecs on a server in some environments can get tricky...  Thus it would make sense that a user would play it back from his workstation.

Why not have a BE2012 ISO and a Admin ISO that has all the latest admin guides, HCL's and videos there?