cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I backup and restore with Backup Exec 2012 a SAN?

Aiko
Level 3
Hello @all,

I have a question about backing up and restore a SAN with Backup Exec 2012. I mean not only the computers which are communicating with the SAN I mean also to save the SAN itself, is that possible with Backup Exec 2012. Do I need special agents for it or licenses?! When which agents or licenses are neccessary. How are your experiences?! Is it possible with Backup Exec 2012 or do I need another program?! The information about that kind is very rare.

Greetings

Aiko

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
...the only license you would require on the media server would be if you wanted another SAN-attached server to backup to a SAN-attached tape library. In this case the remote server would need full installation of BE installed, and the media server would require the Enterprise Storage Option licensed for you to use SAN SSO. I've used SAN SSO and it cut my backup times down by a seriously large amount. Thanks!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 2012 can backup SAN.  The SAN must be accessible to the media server and you would need to buy an Agent for Windows System licence for each drive.

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Can you tell us the model number of your SAN storage device?

CraigV
...the only license you would require on the media server would be if you wanted another SAN-attached server to backup to a SAN-attached tape library. In this case the remote server would need full installation of BE installed, and the media server would require the Enterprise Storage Option licensed for you to use SAN SSO. I've used SAN SSO and it cut my backup times down by a seriously large amount. Thanks!

CraigV
The model and make of SAN in this case doesn't matter. Storage would either be presented to the media server for backups (like VMware's SAN transport method of backing up VMs for instance), or reside on another server where SAN SSO would be used. Thanks!

Aiko
Level 3

thanks for the answers, does be2012 support Md3220 or md3220i?!

CraigV

...it supports both of them!

Aiko
Level 3

thanks, also just connected with media server as b2D location