cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I clone Vista/7 image with DLO client ?

Kaz
Level 3
Hello,

SEP has original unique # on each installed client PC. Then if I create clone image for Vista/7 client, I have to delete some registory for SEP hardware ID #.
BTW, Does  Backup Exec 2010 DLO client has unique hardware ID # for it ? If so, please let me know where it is. I want to create clone image for client with DLO clinet.

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
DLO only backs up selected user files.  It doesn't grab any system/OS files.  if you want full DR type backups, you need a copy of RAWS on the machine.

Not sure about SEP,  and haven't actually used Ghost in several years, but Ghost used to provide a utility that would make all the registry changes necessary to rename the machine after an image was laid down.  Was called GhostWalker if I remember correctly

Kaz
Level 3

I ask for management console for Backup Exec DLO. If DLO client is using serial # for it by generated at installing DLO client, all clone vista/7 image has same serial #. Then management console cannot detect clients correctly.
Please let me know if it uses or no.

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner
Hi Kaz,
as Ken Putnamt says, DLO only backs up selected user files. DLO is not a DR tool.
BTW how are you cloning Vista/7.
You know Microsoft have rules about cloning operating systems.

Regards,
JoaoMatos

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As far as I am aware DLO actually uses machine and user names (it has to use both as a single user could logon to more than one computer and a single computer could be accessed by more than one user) Bear in mind DLO is a user centric product it only uses the machine names to keep track of the original locations of the files.

However as everyone has stated DLO is not a recovery tool for a complete workstation it is only a restoration tool for user data files.