cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I install Backup Exec 2012 Server to Windows 2012 Hyper-V cluster host?

Petr_KASL
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I need advice. I is possible to install Backup Exec 2012 Server to Windows 2012 Hyper-V cluster host?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
14 REPLIES 14

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Windows 2012 is not listed in the SCL of BE2012.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...maybe in BE 2012 R2, or via a patch that will be released. Either way you will get support somewhere down the line after Windows Server 2012 is released.

Thanks!

Petr_KASL
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Ok.

Will be possible to install Backup Exec 2012 Server to Windows 2012 Hyper-V cluster host?

Or Can I install Backup Exec 2012 Server to Windows 2008 Hyper-V cluster host?

Petr_KASL
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Windows 2012 is released.

CraigV

Hi Petr,

No news from Symantec on support for Win2K12, but expect that they will indeed support it as I mentioned above.

However, you can install BE 2012 on Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V as this is listed in the SCL.

Thanks!

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, but it cost Symantec some time before new products are supported.

Keep an eye on the SCL, as long as it is not listed, it is not supported by Symantec.

Petr_KASL
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Sorry, BE 2012 SCL does not say anything about instalation to Windows 2008 R2 Clustered Hyper-V host.

BE2012 admin and installation guide does not say anything about instalation to Windows 2008 R2 Clustered Hyper-V host.

And this is the reason, why I am asking.

It is possible and supported to install BE 2012 server to Windows 2008 R2 Clustered Hyper-V host?

Thank You.

moses1
Level 2

When I installed Backup Exec on a Clustered Hyper-V server and applied SP2 the server started blue screening even after I removed it. I tried it twice and both time as soon as SP2 was installed I got blue screens even after I uninstalled it. DO NOT INSTALL BACKUP EXEC 2010 R3 ON A CLUSTERED 2008 R2 HYPER-V CLUSTERED SERVER unless you like blue screens.

CraigV

That's a generalisation that doesn't necessarily apply to anybody else!

Nabil_polska
Level 4
Employee Accredited

There are no specific dates available yet for support. Please subscribe to the following article to get notified when support is available:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH196108

Mark it as solution if it's answering to ur question

Ahmed_Nmichi_Ha
Level 4
Employee Accredited

To backup the Windows 2012 Hyper-v cluster in not possible as W2k12 is not supported yet however you can install the remote agent for windows  on your Vms and back them up as Physical machine, 

Mark it as solution if it's answering to ur question

ajhstn
Level 4

Now with the Beta release of Backup Exec 2012 SP2, can i now install the agent onto a server 2012 hyperv host and backup VM level backups?

Backup_Admin2
Level 5
Partner Accredited

BE2012 will support Windows 2012 in R2 and Unfortunately, there is no timeline announced yet.

The updated features that have been disclosed for Server 2012 backups are -

• New ReFS (Resilient File System) support
  • New Hyper-V version support
  • Updated Failover Clustering support

BE2010 SP3 will support Windows 2013

check this 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/new-beta-program-backup-exec-2012-r2

hiker_42
Level 3

Only protection of 2012 servers will be available in the 2012 SP1 and 2010 R3 SP3. Installation of the product on 2012 is still not supported. The general availability of the SP is July 2013. Server 2012 was released in March of 2012. So, 16 months after the release of Windows Server 2012, and Symantec STILL does not support installation onto 2012. Ridiculous and embarrasing.