cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I manually remove/edit a Tape Library not using the GUI??

Jeff_Burdzel
Level 2
I recently had the hardware controller on my overland tape library die on me. For some reason, when the card went defunked, Backup Exec all of a sudden decided that the tape library has over 32,000 Tape Drives attached to it, and over 32,000 slots in it. The tape Library is still showing up in the gui under devices, but it is currently showing up as off-line. I need to delete the library becuase it keeps crashing the software every time it tries to load the 32,000 tapes and slots that are "in" in the library. I tried to do it through the gui but all of the options for deleting are greyed out. I tried opening up the .mdf data file in Visual Studio and updating the database to think it only has 1 tape drive and 10 slots, but visual Studio does something to the database and it backup exec won't load it I turn it back on. I still have the original Database file, so that isn't a problem.

But, is there a way to remove that tape library or at least update it so that it doesn't think it has 32,000 tape drives still attached to it?? Or does anyone know of a way of manually editing the sql database to update it myself??

Thanks in advance for any help!!

-Jeff
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Grab the latest TAPEINST and run it. The first time, tell it to remove all devices it finds. Boot the system and run it again. It should install the Veritas/Symantec drivers for both your loader and tape drive

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265139

Jeff_Burdzel
Level 2
Thanks for your response! But I am having an issue. I installed the hot fix 2 that the link says I need to do before running the device installer, but I get the following error message when I run the device installer:

The following patches need to be installed before this patch can successfully continue. BE4454RHF2."

I found at this link http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268039.htm that that error means that I haven't installed hotfix 2. The link also says that I can optionally just install SP1 to take care of the issue. I was going to do that, but under the special instructions, it says that I need to re-install the backup software on all of my servers. Is that mandatory that I NEED to do that?? They are all just file servers, no databases or anything.

Jeff_Burdzel
Level 2
Update: I installed Service Pack 1 and I still the same error message when trying to run the device installer :\

Any thoughts?? Anyone??

Thanks!!