cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use Hardware and Backup exec Encryption together,

mohdniyas89
Level 2

Can I use hardware encryption in TL2000 and Software Encryption in Backup Exec, ?

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. You are given the option to choose either hardware or software encryption, but not both Why would you want to use both?

mohdniyas89
Level 2

But, I can see none or Software option only in backup exec, I am using tl2000. Do i need to activate encryption in tl2000 for hardware encryption.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If BE cannot detect that the device is capable of hardware encryption, then the hardware encryption option is not offered. Either your tape drive is incapable of hardware encryption or you have activated library managed encryption. The tape library should be set to application managed encryption

pkh
   VIP    Certified

To check whether the library is capable of hardware encryption, right-click on the tape library in the Storage tab.  If it is capable of hardware encryption, then it should state this in the library properties.  (I don't have the exact wording. I am not in front of a console right now.).

If it is capable of hardware encryption, then in the library properties, you should check the Enable Hardware Encryption option.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Verbatim -

Hardware encryption that uses the T10 standard requires 256-bit AES. Backup Exec does not let you enable hardware encryption for a job unless it uses at least a 16-character pass phrase.