cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can NAS backup to tape library?

usersky
Level 4

Is it possible to backup data from NAS to tape library or not?

I using W2K8R2 and 12.5 version.
I have created back to disk folder at NAS and created parition at tape library.
I able to back up my data to my NAS  folder and able to to back up to tape libray.

But I unable to find my shared drive at my backup server, as for my tape library I able to see it.

Do I need to buy license for backing up NAS folder to tape library is it?
Or I need do some setting at the media setting?

Kindly give me some advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Backup of NAS devices have been there in Backup Exec since 8.6 days. It is not supposed to be a part of HCL, as we are not discussing about hosting a backup to disk folder on this NAS box. For B2D hosting, there is a b2d test tool which can be used to analyze compatibility. For remote backups, NDMP option was introduced in 11d to support Netapp and then EMC, but for other NAS devices CIFS still remains a method. But, this is not the best way to go as it doesn't use NDMP.

Thanks

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
If you are backing up to NAS by creating a B2D folder and want it to duplicate to tape then in the job setup select the option duplicate job and then you can backup the data that was backed up to NAS to tape by doing so.

If you want to backup the NAS data directly to the tape then it depends on the NAS as what kind of device is it. Add the ip address of your NAS in the user defined selection list in the Backup Exec and try to expand it, you might need to put the same account in the NAS as well to expand the selection list.
You should be able to see the NAS cifs share by doing so and then can backup it up to tape or disk as per your requirement

usersky
Level 4

I using buffalo terastation III TS-RXL/R5 Series.
You say add the IP of the NAS in the user defined list, i not use how to do backup data from NAS to tape.
My tape library i using is IBM autoloader.

sksujeet
Level 6
In the backup selection list you will find "user defined selection", right click on it and click on add or manage and add the ip address of your Buffalow. Once added try to expand it and make sure you are using the correct credentials for the buffalow terastation otherwise create a new user within Backup Exec and use it to expand the selection list.

sksujeet
Level 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
@usersky -

I using W2K8R2 and 12.5 version.

BE 12.5 does not support the use of Server 2008 R2 as a media server.  It only support Server 2008 R2 as a remote server.

I using buffalo terastation III TS-RXL/R5 Series

BE 12.5 does not support this device.

What this means is that you are unable to log a support call with Symantec when you encountered problems.  You should upgrade to BE 2010 which supports Server 2008 R2 as a media server and your Terastation.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

When we say we dont support terrastation, it means it is not supported by NDMP option. So, you will not be able to use NDMP to perform backup of your terrastation. THis applies both to 12.5 and Backup Exec 2010. Although, you can backup the server by adding it as a share in user deffined selections. But, then it will be a CIFS backup, and NDMP would not be utilised. You will need a RAWs license to perform this kind of backup.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If BE 12.5 supports CIFS backup of Terastation, then the BE 12.5 HCL should be updated.  Terastation is not mentioned in it at all.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Backup of NAS devices have been there in Backup Exec since 8.6 days. It is not supposed to be a part of HCL, as we are not discussing about hosting a backup to disk folder on this NAS box. For B2D hosting, there is a b2d test tool which can be used to analyze compatibility. For remote backups, NDMP option was introduced in 11d to support Netapp and then EMC, but for other NAS devices CIFS still remains a method. But, this is not the best way to go as it doesn't use NDMP.

Thanks

superalf
Level 3

This B2D testing tool sounds useful. Is it freely available?

teiva-boy
Level 6
Yes, free.  You can find it on the support site in the KB, search for b2dtest