cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Not Determin If XXXXXXServer Is A 32-Bit or 64-Bit System?

Judgestone
Level 2
I have search support/forums/internet to try to resolve this error to no avail.

Scenario:

We have a "parent" domain and a "child" domain.  BackupExec 11d is installed on a server in the child domain. A user account has been created in the domain for BackupExec.  The user has been added to local servers administrator and backup operators accounts in the child domain, and also in Active Directory and the DCs in the parent domain.

I have no problem pushing/installing the remote agent on servers in the "child" domain; but even though I have the account created in the "parent" domain, every time I try to push/install the agent from the server in the child domain to any server in the parent domain, using the parent domain login, I get an error that does not have an error number that states:

Can not determine if XXXXServer is a 32-bit or 64-bit system

I thought it was a rights issue and purposely used an account that has no rights and got the usual wrong user and password error; but I get the above error when using the correct account.

Can BackupExec cross domains as long as correct password is applied or do we need another backup server in the parent domain?
8 REPLIES 8

JoeyJoeJoe
Level 3
Start > Run > msinfo.exe

Under System Summary > System Type

You should find if it is 32 or 64 bit.

Judgestone
Level 2
Joe, Thanks for the reply; but I know it is a 32 bit OS.  It seems that Backup Exec is the one that is confused.  The servers in the parent domain are the same OS, same hardware, etc that are in the child domain that BackupExec has no problem pushing/installing the remote agents on. It is just when I try to install it on a server in the parent domain is when I get this error, even though an account has been created in the parent domain for BackupExec.

The error just pops up with no error number etc.  Just the error and an OK button.

David_Bond
Level 5
I have had the same problem with some of my servers, freshly installed some, others have been in use for a year or 2, I just manually installed the client, by connecting to the agents\raws32 directory on the backup/media server.

David

Message Edited by David Bond on 09-10-2007 10:42 PM

AASchneider
Level 3
I am also have the same problem.  I have recently installed BE 11d SP1 and hotfixes and I am trying to redeploy remote agents.  I have deployed agents without problems on 30 servers in the child domain, but when I try to deploy agents to the Domain Controllers in the parent domain, I get the same error.

"Unable to determine if xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxx is a 32-bit or 64-bit system.

I even get this error using domain administrator credentials.

Anthony

P_ter_Farkas
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified
I have a exact same problem, I cannot push install across a domain however the domain trusts working fine, and the user is domain admininstrator. The host is a 32 bit system.
Backup Exec 11d 7170 (x86) sp1 +all hotfix installed.

Can help anyone?

P_ter_Farkas
Level 3
I forgot the about the languagees of the systems, The media server is a win 2003 sp2 english, the host is a win 2003 sp2 Hungarian.... :)

AASchneider
Level 3
I opened and closed a ticket with Symantec.

They basically told me that this is a known issue with Microsoft Authentication and there is no solution.  The technician said that Microsoft doesn't even know what the solution is at this time. I have not verified this.

I take this all with a grain of salt because I seem to remember this same functionality working with previous versions of backup exec.

They did have me try creating the same account with the same password in both domains to see if it would work.  It did not help in my case but who knows.

They were quick to want to show me how to install it manually though!

Anthony S.

P_ter_Farkas
Level 3
Thank you Anthony. Its a little bit strange....
But we have solution with more adminstrative overhead.
By, Peter.