cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Not Rename Drive

Ben_Blackmore1
Level 4

Hi,

We had a problem a few weeks ago where a drive (Drive2) in our Dell TL2000 library kept going offline, and wouldn't stay online, and got in a real mess. So we deleted the drive and re-added it again, then performed a few reboots of the BE server & tape library, and eventually got it working.

However, when we re-added it, it wouldn't allow us to add it as Drive2 again, so we had to add it as Drive3. Now I want to add a second library, which will contain drives 3 & 4, so want to rename the existing Drive3 back to Drive2, it won't let me, I get the error saying the drive already exists (see attached picture).

How can I get rid of the existing Drive2 entry, and rename the Drive? I've searched the registry, and files, but there is no mention of 'Drive2' anywhere!

Thanks

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_Blackmore1
Level 4

Thanks for all the replies.

I performed a BEDB repair, using all the options in the KB article supplied, but it didn't help. I also ran the tapeinst but that didn't help. Tried rebooting as well after the BEDB repair & tapeinst but still had the error.

In the end, as I only had limited downtime, I decided to install the second library and just name the drives Drive01, Drive02, Drive03 & Drive04, with Libraries named TL2000-1 & TL2000-2.

There is probably an orphan entry in the database as suggested, however we have limited time when we can perform maintenance, and at the moment it's just easier to use the above names. I was hoping there would be a quick fix, like the BEDB repair that would resolve it!

Thanks

Ben

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I'd make 2 suggestions here:

1. Run a comprehensive repair of the BEDB as per the TN below...might be some sort of corruption, or maintenance tasks aren't running like they should to clean up information in the database:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67239

2. Run the Device Configuration Wizard (where you would normally install the Symantec drivers for your tape drive). Select the option to delete old drives and see if this fixes it (might want to try this first in fact!).

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) go to the BE installation directory and use tapeinst.exe to delete all instances of your first library

2) re-boot the media server

3) user tapeinst to install both libraries.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I don't think that tapeinst will help here as this is a DB issue, not a driver issue.  And tapeinst is only for tape drives, not tape libraries.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

obviously you have something in the database that isn't showing up in the GUI.  There may be ways to fix this.

The simplist solution (and what I would probably do) is to rename everything... Drive1 => Drive01, Drive 3=> Drive02, etc.  The default names are just that... generic defaults.

Since you are adding a second library, it becomes more important to keep things user friendly, so I would suggest something like:

"TL2000 LTO3 Drive1"

"TL2000 LTO3 Drive2"

"new library name LTO5 Drive1"

"new library name LTO5 Drive2"

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Would suggest to contact Support...Most probably, there is an orphan entry in the database & the support folks should be able to help you removing that entry..

pkh
   VIP    Certified

By deleting the old entries, the errors in the BEDB may be cleared up.

Ben_Blackmore1
Level 4

Thanks for all the replies.

I performed a BEDB repair, using all the options in the KB article supplied, but it didn't help. I also ran the tapeinst but that didn't help. Tried rebooting as well after the BEDB repair & tapeinst but still had the error.

In the end, as I only had limited downtime, I decided to install the second library and just name the drives Drive01, Drive02, Drive03 & Drive04, with Libraries named TL2000-1 & TL2000-2.

There is probably an orphan entry in the database as suggested, however we have limited time when we can perform maintenance, and at the moment it's just easier to use the above names. I was hoping there would be a quick fix, like the BEDB repair that would resolve it!

Thanks

Ben