cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can You Use Remote Agent for Windows Systems on Windows 7?

Thundercleese
Level 5

Does the Remote Agent for Windows Systems agent work with Windows desktop OS's?  I've tried installing the agent, but have run into problems.  The workstation shows up under Resources > Windows Systems in Backup Exec.  However, none of the logon accounts work.  Even though those accounts work just fine locally, and to access servers within Backup Exec.

My suspicion is the Remote Agent for Windows Systems only works for Windows server OS's.  Feedback appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10

lmosla
Level 6

Backup Exec 2010 supports Windows XP but not Windows 7 . Windows 7 is supported with Backup Exec or more accurately with DLO 7. Please see the discussion here https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2012-and-desktop-laptop-option

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Backup Exec 2010 supports Windows XP but not Windows 7

This is not true.  BE 2010 does support Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise.  See the SCL below

BE 2010|2010 R2|2010 R3 Software (SCL)

Windows 7 is supported with Backup Exec or more accurately with DLO 7.

This statement contradicts your earllier statement and DLO7 is not BE or part of BE.  DLO7 is a separate product and it only backs up user files.  DLO7 cannot be used to recover a machine, unlike BE.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@thundercleese -

Since the answer that you have marked as the solution is wrong, I have cleared it.

What version of Windows 7 are these problem machines using?  BE does not support Win 7 Home or Home Premium Edition.

If the machines are part of a domain, you should use the BESA which is a domain admin account to access the machine.

lmosla
Level 6
pkh, thank you for seeing and clarifying my mistake.

Thundercleese
Level 5

What version of Windows 7 are these problem machines using?  BE does not support Win 7 Home or Home Premium Edition.
-Windows 7 Enterprise

If the machines are part of a domain, you should use the BESA which is a domain admin account to access the machine.
-I've tried that, but it's not working for some reason.  Even though it's the same BESA used to access servers.  Very odd problem.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try adding the Win 7 system via user-defined selections via IP address...see if you can select the system from there...if not, try to establish trust by right-clicking on the system...

Lastly as a test, if you disable UAC temporarily, does it allow to select the Win 7 system for backup ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

So far, you have not shown what your problem is.

Have you purchased and installed the necessary RAWS licence to backup these Win 7 machines?  You would need 1 RAWS licence for each machine to be backed up.

Thundercleese
Level 5

Have you purchased and installed the necessary RAWS licence to backup these Win 7 machines?

Yes, attached to this post is a screenshot of the 'error' I recieve after selecting an account with admin privileges.

Thundercleese
Level 5

I tried the steps you mentioned above, but sadly I keep getting the same 'error'.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Make sure that your BESA has the rights stated in this document

Requirements for the Backup Exec Service Account (BESA).