cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can backup Exec perform dual tape drive backups simultaneously?

corycar
Level 3

I  have a Sun/Oracle SL24 autoloader

It has 1 tape drive we use for duplication of our backups

As we grow - the duplication of our backups is taking longer and longer.

We are considering purchasing a 2nd tape drive for our autoloader, but we don't know if BE 2010 r3 will alternate which drives are being used, or if it has the capability of performing DUAL backups (2 tape drive jobs at once) assuming that they would be put into a "pool".

Does anybody have experience with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, two tape drives can be used in parallel by BE with TWO different backup jobs.

You will have to purchase and install Library Expansion Option license for this.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Nope...unless you split your job and run 2 jobs at the same time, 1 to each library. Then it will work...

Multiplexing isn't possible in BE...the streaming of 1 job to 2 drives...

Thanks!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, two tape drives can be used in parallel by BE with TWO different backup jobs.

You will have to purchase and install Library Expansion Option license for this.

corycar
Level 3

Just to be a bit more clear - I wouldn't want to stream a single job to two drives, but rather a seperate duplicate job to each drive - at the same time, or in other words both tape drives are runnig a job

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes BE can use N number of drives in parallel with N number of backup jobs. Only condition is you should purchase and install N-1 LEO licenses.

Thanks...

CraigV

No reason why it can't...as long as you are duplicating separate jobs it should be fine. I wouldn't duplicate the same job to 2 drives at the same time.

Thanks!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

A small correction here!

the streaming of 1 job/client to 2 drives: Multistreaming

Sending 2 jobs/clients to 1 drive: Multiplexing

....and both features are not available with BE.

corycar
Level 3

@ CraigV - definately not duping 1 job to two drives - would be 2 seperate jobs to 2 seperate drives.

is BE 2010 smart enough to send a job to a particular drive on it's own?

In other words would I have to go through my policy's/Jobs and specify "Job X goes to drive 1"  "Job Y goes to drive 2" etc.

Or will BE look for an availble drive and send the next scheduled job to it when it becomes available? 

CraigV

Hi,

Yes it can, no worries. As long as you have the LEO license then the 2nd drive is active. Just configure the jobs and point them at the library/pool, or a specific drive if you so choose.

Thanks!