cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer backup EMC NAS device

Mark_Wain
Level 3
Hi, I have a Windows 2003 Server with an external LTO3 tape drive attached and have just upgraded from Backup Exec 9.1 to 11d. We have an EMC NS501 NAS device, which we can no longer backup since upgrading. In v9.1 we added the NAS to our backup job under 'User-defined Selections' and this worked OK.

When we try to do this with v.11d we get an 'Access is denied' error message when trying to add the NAS to the backup job. It's not a user permission's problem as we're using the same config as before.

Has anyone come across this problem and found a resolution? Is it possible to backup NAS devices in v.11d without using NDMP as it is in v9.1?
4 REPLIES 4

Paul_Molina
Level 4
Might be worth taking a quick look under the resource credentialsin the job properties and do a "test selected" just to make sure they weren't changed. If it fails there you could try messing with the credentials, specifying a local user on the NAS.

-Paul

STeve_O
Level 5
The code has change in the 11d remote agent and its detecting NDMP is enabled on the EMC device. Disable NDMP on the EMC device and it should work.

Mark_Wain
Level 3
Thanks for the feedback. We've contacted EMC with regards to disabling NDMP on the NAS. In the meantime I tried the following fix:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/255174.htm

It worked in that it allowed me to backup the NAS but it was incredibly slow - 90MB/min. When using v9.1 we were getting about 400MB/min. Also, since implementing the fix we can no longer backup our Unix boxes - get access is denied. When we remove the 'fix' we can backup the Unix boxes but not the NAS!!

Any help much appreciated.

Andy_Dompier
Level 2
Did you hear from EMC on disabling NDMP?