cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not restore Individual Messages (get Access Denied message)

CSRPhoto
Level 3
I've already searched the forum and have not been able to find ay helpfull information (at best, it appears that Symantec is aware of the problem and is "working" on a fix, but even that post was from months ago). I've installed all the latest updates and am running 11d 7170 on a 2003 box. The backups were fine in 10d, and I was able to restore fine. Now, however, I can not restore the individual messages. I get an "Access Denied" message. Specifically I get:

Unable to restore any content for %UserName% because the Microsoft Exchange database that hosts that mailbox is offline or the mailbox doesn't exist.
The error however does not make sense...the database is onlineand the mailbox does exist. In fact, in one case, I had the restore job "recreate" the mailbox (in which that portion worked fine).

Does anybody have any new information on how to fix this (or at least a work around)?
6 REPLIES 6

harmstrong
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi CSRphoto,

Is your Backup Exec server install on an x64 bit OS?

Access denied is reported while running backups to disk, or restores from tape, of Exchange 2003 from an x64 bit media server.

Make the following change on both server's registry  media server and Exchange server.

Browse to HKLM:Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\ESE
Click on Edit - New - DWORD Value
Type Value_name = "<ignore mount state>"
Value = DWORD(1)
 Recycle Backup Exec services on both servers
 Run the restore job.

Regards,
HArmstrong
Symantec

CSRPhoto
Level 3
The OS is Win2k3 Standard w/ SP2, but not x64 bit. None of our OS's are x64 (I saw in another forum that mixed OS's could cause a problem).

The backups have been runing fine, it's only the restore that has the Access Denied error, and all our Jobs are to/from tape (no B2D). Exchange is 2003 (I think I posted on a couple other forums that we we're running 2000), running on a 2000 server.

Not being a x64, should I still apply the regedits? Or will that make a difference...

harmstrong
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi CSRphoto,

The registry keys will apply for 32 bit or 64bit.   Try adding the registry key on both Backup Exec server and Exchange server then run a restore job .

Regards,
HArmstrong
Symantec

CSRPhoto
Level 3
The HKLM:Software\Veritas\Backup Exec\Engine\ESE does not exist in either server's registry. The path only goes as far as HKLM:Software\Veritas\Remote IDR & HKLM:Software\Veritas\VxSvc.

Also, the KB you refered to seems to be specific to x64 OS related problems, which we are not runing. Any other ideas?

harmstrong
Level 5
Employee Accredited
HI,

For Backup Exec 11D   the registry path is Hkey_local _Machine\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows \Backup Exec \Engine\ESE  .

Click on Edit - New - DWORD Value

Type Value_name = "<ignore mount state>"

Value = DWORD(1)

Recycle Backup Exec services on both servers run the restore job .

Regards,

HArmstrong

Symantec

CSRPhoto
Level 3
That worked! Thank you so much...you really got me out of some hot water with the brass.