cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not restore specific files using GRT from vmdk files

Takky
Level 3

Hi all,

We are using BE2014 on windows server 2008 R2 (Standard Edition), there is only C drive and capacity is 600GB,

and using Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure.

We are backing up entire VM guest server with enabling GRT to tape(LTO5) and it is no problem,

but when we restore specific files from big volume vmdk(750GB), free space on C drive is getting decrease and then no free space,

finally it is stopped with error as the below.

Even G.R.T. path change, our sever has only one drive and not fix this error.

We can restore specific files on other server which has not so big volume vmdk(100GB).

Do we need to have more large space to restore on BE server?

Error:

The path on the Backup Exec server for staging temporary restore data when restoring individual items from tape ran out of disk space. Either clear some disk space, 
or click Application Menu > Configuration and Settings > Backup Exec Settings > Granular Recovery Technology, and enter a restore path that has more disk space.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yup, and that's why he said this: "I have found out that we need additional large space drive on our BE server."

I was not trying to prove you wrong pkh, your solution was correct. I was just clearing it up a bit...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Takky,

As per design, to restore GRT data from backups taken to Tapes it will first have to stage the complete VMDK to disk. The default location is C:\TEMP folder. Then the restore of single file/folder selected for restore is done from the staged disk location.

If the C:\ drive does not have enough space then you can define other drive which is local to the server. You can also use an NTFS formatted USB drive attached to the server as the staging location. To change the location click Application Menu > Configuration and Settings > Backup Exec Settings > Granular Recovery Technology, and enter a restore path that has more disk space.

Refer to the following technote:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO99516 : Setting default Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) options

Regards,

-Sush...

Takky
Level 3

Thank you, Sush...

I understood what GRT data restore mechanism. Your answer is helpful fo me and resolved.

I have found out that we need additional large space drive on our BE server.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Rather than doing all the settings that were previously advised, you can also duplicate the backup set to disk and then do your restorer from the disk backup set

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think that is not an option since he mentions: "there is only C drive and capacity is 600GB".

They only backup to tape I guess.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If he wants to restore anything, there is no choice.  It is either staging or restore from a disk backup set.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yup, and that's why he said this: "I have found out that we need additional large space drive on our BE server."

I was not trying to prove you wrong pkh, your solution was correct. I was just clearing it up a bit...

Takky
Level 3

Thank you for your kind support.

I understood how we need to do.

We added 1GB disk space on Backup server to restore specific file from large volume server.

It took 4.5 hours.