cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not select the partition on Backup Exec

samuelBE
Level 4

Hi , I have installed the Backup Exec Agent on Window 2008 Server R2  and I want to backup the second partition there. On Backup Exec Selection List Backup Exec Media Server ,  the Server Comes but the Partitition which i want to backup is greyed out ( I can not select it ). So what do you suggest i do?

15 REPLIES 15

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

does this partition have a formatted NTFS volume with a drive letter?

samuelBE
Level 4

yes , it is partitioned with NTFS , primary partition with drive lettr E:

I can see it on backup exec selection list but , i couldnot check it.

VJware
Level 6

Does the this volume get selected when you tick the root i.e. the machine itself ?

Do confirm this volume is not added under global exclusions.

Is the VDS service running on this machine ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...can you expand it and select any of the folders there?

Is the media server fully patched and have these patches been push-installed to your remote servers?

Thanks!

samuelBE
Level 4

No the volume is not selected, when i select the machine.

And about the  global exclusion list , it not included, in-fact i have never selected anything on that list

By VDS you mean , the service called Virtual Disk , that found in windows services, if that is it. 

It have not started and i manually started the service still the problem exist.

samuelBE
Level 4

I don't understand... i couldn't select the drive so the list of folders it contain are not visible

patched ? i have updated the media server about 6 monthes ago ... and the remote servers is new server , which i install the agent from the media server remotely, so do i need to patche it??????

CraigV

...it's going to be 1 of the first troubleshooting steps a Symantec engineer will ask you to perform if you logged a call with them.

So run LiveUpdate and install any patches still required, and then push-install these patches out.

Lastly...anything different in how this drive is configured?

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6

If you add this remote server via user-defined selections, are you able to select this partition ?

you may need to enable debugging for us or log a formal support case...

samuelBE
Level 4

i have enabled debugging and how would make  formal support case and do i need to pay for that?

VJware
Level 6

If you have an active support maintenance contract, there should be no fees & you can either log via the web or via the phone.

You may also post or PM the debug.

CraigV

...if you have support, then you don't have to pay for it. Simply call in, quote your customer number and give it a priority.

If you don't have active support, then you need to log a call that will need to be paid for.

Thanks!

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

SamuelBE, 

Please DM me your information so that we can see what we can do about getting your case created . 

samuelBE
Level 4

My suspect is , it is something to do with authentication . because when i try to manual add the selection using Include, it select it but its directories are not visible , it gives "Query failed".

what i don't understand is, how can it have not authentication problem with C: but have problem with E:, i mean they are both on the same computer.

CraigV

...what are the permissions like at the root of the drive? The same as C:\?

samuelBE
Level 4

Yes same as C.