cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Restore System State Registry to Windows 2000 using BE SBS v8.6

skellish
Level 2
Customer's Windows 2000 server suffered SOFTWARE Hive registry corruption during shutdown which prevented subsequent booting. I swapped in the repair copy, allowing the server to boot, but of course its 8 years old with no knowledge of the currently installed software.

The customer does nightly full backups including system state. I reinstalled BE SBS v8.6 and am now trying to restore just the system state. The server is part of a workgroup and not not part of a domain. When I run the restore job, the rest of the system state restores without error, but I get the following error restoring the registry:

Access denied to file \Registry\default
Error writing file data
Access denied to file \Registry\SAM
Error writing file data

If I try to do a redirected restore of the system state, the files of the C:\WINNT\System32\config restored from tape are all 19K and all appear to contain the same data which is wrong. None of the registry files are restored correctly.

Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

As I understand:
1  : Windows 2000 Server part of a Workgroup
2  : The registry went bad
3  : We have a FULL backup of the System Drive and the System State

1  : Format the server and install Windows 2000 Server with SAME HOST NAME and WORKGROUP NAME and patch it up by running Windows Live Update.
2  : Install Backup Exec and assign the LOCAL ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT as the Backup Exec Service Account.
3  : Run inventory and catalog on the TAPE.
4  : Configure a Restore job selecting the System state, Shadow Copy Components and the System Drive. Go to Resource Credentials and check the Resource Credentials and run the job

Hope this helps...

skellish
Level 2
Dev T, Still no luck. Here's where I am.

1st off, I'm running Backup Exec v8.6. There is no LiveUpdate. There is also no "Shadow Copy Components" option when creating the Restore job and I don't see a "Resource Credentials". Perhaps these are features of a later version of BE?

Compaq Proliant with RAID 1 using 2 18.2 GB SCSI Drives. Registry got corrupted during shutdown. Initial errors as previously noted trying to restore. Decided to replace drives both to increase  drive size and keep existing copy in case tape restore does not work.

Followed steps noted by Dev T:
1. Removed existing drives. Installed new drives and created a new logical RAID volume
2. Installed Windows 2000 Server
3. Installed BENT/2000 SMALL BUSINESS SERVER EDITION v8.6
4. No LiveUpdate is available for this version.
5. Assigned LocalSystem to various Backup Exec services and restarted
6. Ran Inventory and Catalog of the tape.
7. Ran the restore. Still getting the following error:
Access denied to file \Registry\Default
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Error writing file data
Access denied to file \Registry\SAM
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Error writing file data

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Was Backup Exec 8.6 installed on the server which crashed OR it was on some other server?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/258271
This may be a help...