cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Start Backup Exec Remote Agent on Terminal Server

Terry6688
Level 2

Hi all,

One of our customers uses Symantec Backup Exec 12 for Windows Servers to backup all of their windows server.We are having an issue that we can't Start Backup Exec Remote Agent on their Terminal Server.

A few weeks ago, we restart the terminal server(We didn't make any change to the server before the restart). After the server was been restarted, Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems service shows starting, but it just hangs there and won't show started. I tried to kill the process, but receives "Access Denied" error message. After some trouble shooting, I found Symantec AntiVirus is stopping this service to be started. I disabled Symantec AntiVirus, then I am able to kill beremote.exe. Then I added the path for beremote.exe to the exclusion scan list of Symantec AntiVirus. But Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems service still keeps showing starting and won't start when I manully to start Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems service.

Terminal Server OS: Windows 2003 R2 Standard Edition SP2

I have also tried to reinstall the agent, but with no joy.

It's much appreciated if somebody can give me some hint on this.

Thanks a lot

Terry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Vijay_S_Mishra
Level 6
Employee Certified
There would issues if you are connecting to the server via a terminal services session . You should always use MSTSC /console session when making any changes remote agent or installatiion in BE .

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

docelec
Level 2
Partner

Hi Terry, I tried the Symantec Backup Exec 12 for Windows Servers in a server that is running 2 or 3 programs. when I install the Symantec product, I see that I have the same problem like you, and I don't know what's the problem. I tell you whats the programs that are running in my server, maybe you have someone of this programs and we can discover the fault:

Cobian Backup 8

hMailServer 4.4.1

Microsoft Office

No-ip Duc

Vmware Workstation

Xampp

And Sql servers installed with Symantec Backup Exec 12

Tanks

Docelec

Vijay_S_Mishra
Level 6
Employee Certified

Do we get any application events in event viewer when we try to start the remote agent service ?

Also, you can enable debug and then try to start the remote agent service .

docelec
Level 2
Partner

It repairs when I tried the program in the server console. When I tried it through terminal server, the services appeared starting but in console appears started and backup exec recovery works perfectly. I don't know why happens that but I don't wanna crash my brain.

thanks for all.

goodbye

Vijay_S_Mishra
Level 6
Employee Certified
There would issues if you are connecting to the server via a terminal services session . You should always use MSTSC /console session when making any changes remote agent or installatiion in BE .

Terry6688
Level 2
Thanks a lot, guys. It's resolved by logon to the console session to restart the service. Thanks again!!!!