cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't backup remote linux clients after BE Upgrade

Anne_Wood
Level 2
Just recently upgraded from 5484 to 5520 and now I cannot backup any of my linux clients. Windows servers are backing up fine. The error I get is: The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target and is running.

I have the legacy agent installed on these linux systems. I believe that I have the latest backup agent for linux installed, but how could I verify that I have the right one for 5520?
7 REPLIES 7

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Anne,

Did you reinstall the legacy agent after the upgrade ? You need to reinstall the agent after the upgrade.

Even after the reinstallation if you cannot see the remote Linux client then add the IP and Servername of your Linux machine to the Hosts file on the media server and then add the media server�s IP and servername in the Hosts file on the Linux machine.

Restart both the BE as well as remote agent service.

Hope it helps!

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Anne_Wood
Level 2
First, I must clarify that I had to uninstall BE after upgrading to 5520 due to some really strange problems. After I uninstalled this, I re-installed a fresh copy of 5520. Is there anyway that this could have caused my problems. I thought maybe it was possible that the "older" 9.x versions worked with the legacy unix agent and upgrading those version kept that functionality and then once I installed a fresh version of 10 v5520 without the upgrade, I lost this.

I have tried your suggestions below. I re-installed the agent located at C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\Agents\Legacy Unix Agent and also added entries in both computers hosts files. I also restarted both BE and the unix agent after doing this. This still gave me the same error I mentioned above.

I am able to see the linux computers in my backup selections and I can select files to backup, but after I start the backup it errors out.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

What is the version of linux?

Ensure that the logon account has root level access rights on the Linux system and is member of "Beoper" group.

This issue is also observed to occur if port 10000 is being used by another application on the Linux server.
To check if any other application is using port 10000 run the command netstat -a on the Linux machine.
Refer: http://support.veritas.com/docs/275228

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Anne_Wood
Level 2
We are running Fedora Core 4. We have not made any changes to these servers and were able to back them with no problems prior to reinstalling our backup server and using 5520.

I ran the netstat and there appears to be something listening on port 10000, but we aren't using the remote agent for linux, we are using the legacy agent which only used to run grfs on tcp 6101. Why would I need to worry about ndmp?

User belongs to beoper group.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello Anne,

This version of Linux is not explicitly tested by us and is not listed in our Software compatiblity list. Therefore we cannot guarantee that it would work.

Please refer to the Software compatibility list below:

Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers - Software Compatibility List (SCL)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/264484

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Anne_Wood
Level 2
I know that; however, it worked perfectly fine before I upgraded. I was just looking for some advice as to whether or not the upgrade or new version was causing my problem or if anyone else saw this.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Anne,

We do not know how it worked earlier but have you tried doing the host entries ? Did that help?

You could also uninstall and reinstall RALUS for test purposes.

==================