cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't browse VirtualCenter or any ESX Server!

tw71
Level 3
Partner

After adding our VirtualCenter or ESX servers any click to it gets a timeout after a few minutes. Can't select or browse for any VMs. We are using the newest version of esx an VirtualCenter.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5

DJMcLaren
Not applicable

I came across this at one customer although I must admit this browsing process seems to be very slow even at the best of times.

A network trace showed that instead of communicating with VirtualCenter, Backup Exec was going to the Internet. The IP address concerned was 199.7.54.190 and resolved to CRL.VERISIGN.COM.54.7.199.in-addr.arpa. Obviously a certificate was being checked against Verisign's Certificate Revocation List.

The quick fix was to remove the default gateway address from the VCB/Media Server. Suddenly everything worked great.

I need to look at this issue in more detail however I hope this temporary fix helps.

tw71
Level 3
Partner
Same problem here, after removing the default gateway it works! Ist this a feature :smileyvery-happy:

Danhed
Not applicable

Had exactly the same problem. VCB-Proxy was working fine but was complaining about the certificate.

Tried the "remove GW workaround" and that worked like a charm. 

Added the gw again and it stopped working. So I added "crl.verisign.com  127.0.0.1" to the host-file and the browsing started to work again.

Hope this helps anyone.

Have a case with Symantec about this so I'll update the post if I get a better solution.

/Daniel

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee

Hello: We have seen this same issue with the SharePoint Agent. This is due to the fact that the certificate is trying to update when Backup Exec's manage Code Starts. You can use one of the workarounds that you mentioned earlier in the thread

1) Remove the default Gateway

2) adding an entry in the Hosts file for the Cert Cerver and set it to 127.0.0.1

You can also follow the Technote Below and this will resolve the issue as well.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/300675.htm

-- Joshua

ulrich_mayr
Level 2
I have tried the host file entry and the net framework thing, but still cant browse my esx servers and the virtual server.