cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't catalog B2D files

Al_Wilson
Level 5
Hello,

Running 10d, we can Inventory any B2D folder or file, but when we try to Catalog, we receive the following error:

"The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation."

We then followed the steps in Technote 'http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/280822.htm' with no joy.

The Catalog job failed as documented, but the data cataloged does not show in the Restore window. Why is this?

Cheers,
Al.
4 REPLIES 4

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Are the catalogs there on the media? Male sure that the backup job was successful and that the catalog was not deleted or overwritten.

Follow the steps in the technote below which might help:

How to manually force Backup Exec to re-index the on-disk catalogs
http://support.veritas.com/docs/272886

Revert with details if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Al_Wilson
Level 5
Tried the steps in the technote, but with no joy. Still can't get cataloguing to work...please read on.

We backup to disk on a daily basis. After this backup, the B2D files are backed up to tape.For a restore, we therefore have to trace the logs; find out which B2D files the job backed up to, then find the tapes that the B2D files backed up to.

Thing is, the catalogs are fine for the most recent backup. After they get thrown on to tape, if we do a catalog, the selection for the machine is removed.

We can only catalog with the 'Use storage media-based catalogs' option turned off. Surely this isn't right? Surely the whole point of it is the ability to use these catalogs? To Catalog 350Gb (Byte Count) on an Ultrium1 tape takes 4 1/2 hours. That is ridiculous. We shouldn't need to do it, and it makes our DR process laughable!

I've also tried cataloguing the B2D files on another server that runs 9.1. Same issue- have to deselect the option to use storage media-based catalogs, then when I go to restore the files, the machine is not listed.

Is there something in the Job log audit trail that I'm missing?

Cheers,
Al.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I've never seen Veritas answer any of the many queries about moving BKF files from one B2D folder to another (basically what you are trying to do)

Are you just doing a standard backup of the BKF files? If so try doing a Duplicate job. Doing it this way, BackupExec creates a second catalog entry for the tape, and basically does a logical copy not just a physical copy. This means that you can do a Restore directly from tape.

Al_Wilson
Level 5
Hi Ken,

Sorry for the Veritas-like delay in replying.

Duplicating was the exact thing we need to do.

Thanks very much!