Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't continue backup from full tape to another tape in one media set

Ziger
Level 2

Hi All,

I got some issues with the Backup exec 2014:

1. When the job backup to the tape and then the tape is fulled, but the job don't change to another tape in the same media set.

2. If I don't check "Eject the media after the job compleles", the job won't write to correct media set and will change to the "associate media" to the media set of the job.

3. What meaning of media overwrite options:

-  Overwrite scratch media before overwriting recylable media contained in the targeted media set.

-  Overwrite recyclable media contained in the targeted media set before overwriting scratch media.

anyone have solutions?

Thanks in adv!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

step 1: I create the media set BK_DD with overwrite and append period is 7days. this media set include 5 tapes (1 tapes is 2.7TB).

to be clear: the number of tapes in a media set is determined by Backup Exec (over a period of time), not by you.  Do NOT put tapes into media sets (such as BK_DD) by yourself as the media will not get used in the way you expect.  Leave your blank or reusable tapes in the "scratch" media set until BE needs one, then BE will take it from "scratch" and put it in the media set for that job.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you look at the title of the box that contains the two options you discuss in point 3 above you will notice that they relate to the start or beginning of the job only.

Once you fill a tape mid job it is no longer the beginning of the job and we require an overwriteable tape and will not accept an overwrite protected tape even if it still has space on it to append to as the append option only takes place against the first tape in a job.

You need to provide overwritablel media when the first tape is full and the job tries to span to another tape.

Colin_Weaver

for point 2 - Please see the section in the admin guide on how Backup Exec chooses overwritable media - as it describes how Backup Exec can take tapes from a different media set (as long as the tapes are overwritable). The section also discusses how it decides when to choose such a tape based on other settings in Backup Exec

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

step 1: I create the media set BK_DD with overwrite and append period is 7days. this media set include 5 tapes (1 tapes is 2.7TB).

to be clear: the number of tapes in a media set is determined by Backup Exec (over a period of time), not by you.  Do NOT put tapes into media sets (such as BK_DD) by yourself as the media will not get used in the way you expect.  Leave your blank or reusable tapes in the "scratch" media set until BE needs one, then BE will take it from "scratch" and put it in the media set for that job.

Ziger
Level 2

Hi Colin Weaver,

Thanks for your reply! I did! Please see my configuration on Exec 2014 connect to DELL TL2000:

BK_WW with overwrite and append period is 4 weeks. include 12 tapes

BK_MM with overwrite and append period is 3 months. include 6 tapes

step 2: I create job ABC with full (media set is BK_WW), incrementall (media set is BK_DD)

step 3: first time. I run ABC with full job.

in this step: if I don't check "Reject the media set after job completes". The next jobs ( ex: ABC with incremental" will be still write to BK_WW and change the associate of tape to BK_WW. => I check the "Reject.." can solve this issue.

step 4: after 2 week, one tape in media set BK_WW full (5 tapes still empty), I expect the job will be automatic write to any tape in BK_WW. But not working. I think I have something wrong in my configuration. My setting in the Backup Exec Setting/Storage/ Media overwrite protection level is None.

Please give me the idea...

Thanks in Adv !!!

Colin_Weaver

is your overall media protection setting by any chance set to none as the only way for BE to change a tape between media sets is during an overwrite and the only ways for an overwrite to take place are if either your overwrite protection is to short OR you have set the overall media protection to none. (which is very bad practice as it allows any tape to be overwritten irrespective of the overwrite protection period )

Ziger
Level 2

Hi Colin Weaver,

Thanks for your all suggestions. I will change my ways to configure it.

Thanks all again!