cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't duplicate to disk cartridge in BE 2012

teQHarbor
Level 2

I just upgraded a client to Backup Exec 2012 over the weekend, and I'm having trouble making it do what worked fine in BE 2010. Previously they would back up key data from five servers to a RAID array on the Backup Exec server, and then duplicate that backup to an RD1000 disk cartridge for off-site storage. This is a full backup done every weeknight. I can't seem to make the same thing work in BE 2012. For starters, why is "Back up to Disk and then Duplicate to Disk Cartridge" grayed out? I can't see any explanation for that.

I've created the appropriate storage, and BE 2012 sees the RD1000 cartridge just fine, and it will write to it. If I created a "backup to disk" job, I can manually add a duplication job to that.

However... even though I've created one backup job for the five servers, each seems to be treated as a separate job by this version of BE, and so it's treating what used to be one duplication job as five! It looks like it's duplicating one server's backup to the disk, but then that one can/will be overwritten by the next, and so on.

How do I get BE 2012 to just act like BE 2010?

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BE 2012 is server-centric so you would need at least 1 job per server to back it up.

As for your duplicate jobs, if you set the OPP of the duplicate data to a long period, like 1 week.  The following duplicate will not overwrite the data of previous duplicate.

teQHarbor
Level 2

Okay, I've set an appropriate overwrite protection period. What about just getting BE 2012 to write to the media? It prompts me to insert media for every one of the five separate backup jobs. The media is already there. If I click "Respond Yes", it writes. I don't see anywhere in the manual or in the software itself to automate this process. This was much more straightforward in BE 2010.