cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install remote agent via the tools menu

clytwyn
Level 2
When I click on it nothing happens.  I purchased an agent that I need to install asap.  Can I just remote onto the server that needs to be backed up and install the agent from the main backup servers program files?

D:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\NT\Agents\RAWS32
5 REPLIES 5

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Yes, you can copy the RAWS32 folder to the remote server, then run the "setupaa.cmd" script to perform a silent install. This process will show an open command window that appears inactive, but this is normal behavior. The install typically takes from 30 seconds to two minutes. When complete, the command window will close. You should at that point see the Remote Agent in the Services applet.

clytwyn
Level 2
Thanks for the tip.  I did that and it worked.  Question though.  I never put in the license key that I purchased at any point.  Will this affect anything, if I go to the license and keys drop down from the tools nothing happens.  Normally a new window would pop up but ever since I upgraded to 11d that option hasn't worked.

Greg_Meister
Level 6
Very odd. If you go to the Add/Remove Programs control panel, and select "Change" for Backup Exec, you can get into the license key section that way. Please let me know if this is works or not.

clytwyn
Level 2
This is whack.  I went to the add/remove and clicked on change and it says:

An error occured while trying to remove symantec backup exec 11d for Windows Server.  It may have already been uninstalled. 

then it asks me if I want to remove backup exec from the add or remove programs list.

Yet the program is installed and its doing backups every night.

Yada
Level 2

I have this exact same issue.

What happened to us is the server was patched.  C: drive had been filling up, and was now too full causing our monitor software to send emails constantly.  We archived off all the patch uninstalls to free up some space temporarily, and the C:\Windows\Installer folder contents were moved as well - mistakenly. 

Luckily the contents of this folder was in the archive and I could simply copy it back.  The Agent install wizard is again functioning. 

Message Edited by Yada on 01-05-2009 11:35 AM