cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't logon server via backup job

tha
Level 3

Hi everyone.

I have a few servers (About 50/50 Linux and MS).
I can logon to all of them but one (a MS server). In the "Logon Account Selection" I have logon accounts for all the servers. The one that fail works on other servers so it’s not the account that’s the problem.

On the server I can see the remote agent (BE 2010 remote agent) and when I press "BE 2010 Remote Agent Util" it says:
"The application window is already open or running in the Windows taskbar. Only one copy of the application can be run per user session.".
I can’t see the agent running on the task bar even though I have specified it.

I have restarted the server (Not an option anymore because of user activities) and reinstalled the BU remote agent.

Please help brilliant guys.

13 REPLIES 13

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi tha,

Make sure that the BE service account is a member of the Local Admins group on that server as the first step.

then check the remote agent on that server and make sure it is publishing correctly to the media server. You can use either IP or name.

Lastly...just as a standard procedure, make sure that your media server is fully patched, and then push these patches out to any remote servers.

Thanks!

tha
Level 3

Thanks for the reply CraigV.

The problem was that my co worker had made a wrong local Administrator password on the server.

Btw when you say "BE service account" is that the accounts under "Logon Account Selection"?

And finally . . . how do I push updates to my remote servers?

I know some of this is basic, but I’m fairly new at this.

Again thanks
Thomas

tha
Level 3

And the job failed with the error:
Error   : e000fe28 - A network connection to the server could not be established.

When I ran the test on Resource credentials the test results on that server were:
OURSERVER --- administrator --- Successful
C: -------------------------------------------- Successful - used server credentials
E: -------------------------------------------- Successful - used server credentials

Still the backup on that server resulted in the error mentioned.

Can I still trust the backups of the other servers in this job?
It said the JOB failed, but from job history it seems the backup of the others servers is ok.

Thomas

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The backup of the other servers should be o.k.  You should check the Eventlog on the problem server to see what is the problem during the backup.

CraigV

Hi,

1. Yes...that would be your default account in BE. You can also verify which account is being used by going to services.msc and see what the BE services are started up with.

2. To do a push-install, do the following: Tools --> Install Agents and Media Servers on Other Servers... and then select the option to import servers publishing to that media server. You can follow the prompts from there.

Thanks!

tha
Level 3

I can’t seem to find the problem with the Netware server and wondered if it’s a license problem.
I got the error "e000fe28 - A network connection to the server could not be established." right after I got the new server connected with the BE.

Could it be that the new server stole the last license and I get that error because of that?

It might be fare fetched, but I’m getting desperate now.

Thomas

CraigV

No server "steals a license". You'd have a license key that unlocks the functionality you need...if you added more servers you'd have to buy more "numbers", but this wouldn't stop your server functioning...

tha
Level 3

Again thanks for your help and time.

Really appreciated.

tha
Level 3

Yeah I thought it was fare fetched.
I'll scratch my head and think/Google/search this site some more.

Edit:
But I just can't figure out what's wrong.

• The remote agent is ok.
  • Resource credentials test is ok.
  • The TSAFS.NLM, TSANDS.NLM and TSAFSGW.NLM have been restarted and is ok.
  • I have tested a minimal backup with only a few files I know exists on the server.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What version of Netware are you running on the problem server?  Check the SCL below to make sure that it is supported.

BE 2010|2010 R2|2010 R3 Software (SCL)

tha
Level 3

I'll check it asap, but we have been taking a backup of this server and with the same job.

It failed right after we got the new server on the job.
I can't see that I have changed anything in the job that should be the problem.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't understand.  You have been backing up this server and yet you say that it is a new server.

Temporarily, exclude the problem server from your backup so that you can be sure that the backup of the other servers are o.k.  You can set up a separate job to backup this problem server and trouble-shoot the problem.

tha
Level 3

I have one server that has been there for ages. Let’s call it Server_Old.
That server has been backed up with the job I’m using for a long time and is now giving me the mentioned error.

Then I have a brand new server (Server_New) and when the job ran after that server was plugged in I couldn’t backup Server_Old.

Last night I excluded Server_Old from the job and am testing the backup on that server on a separate job.
Thank god the rest of my servers were backed up without any problems.

Now I just noticed that on my Netware server in Logger Screen I got a "Invalid password, connection not-granted" message.
Probably another dumb question (But aren’t they all when you ask geniuses?), but how can the credential test be ok and the server say that the PW is wrong?

Thanks for the reply.
Thomas