cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't reinstall backup

TED_E_Bear
Not applicable
Greetings,
My second post, first one had no responses.  Maybe in wrong group?  My hard drive  crashed hard.  Just before it did, as I knew it was failing, I managed a full image file backup of the enitire drive (file structure c fat 32 and d ntfs) and it is spanned across 15 CDs, the new drive is sata 100gb.  THE image file took hours to make and is huge.

I put in my new hdd and tried to run the recovery with no partitioning on the new drive.  I assumed that the recovery would automatically create partiton tables in MBR when it imploded.  I think maybe I need to properly format the new drive but am unsure.   The symantec screen comes up, after I set boot from CD as first priority, and says "symantech Ghost 8.2" on the title at the top of the screen.  I run the first 4 cds ok and each time I get to disk 5, I get decomposition error Abort yes or no?  I say no and then I get a screen that says corrupt file run image integrity checker. 

MY laptop is:
Acer Travelmate 8104 wlmi.    I installed the factory restore disk to my new hdd.  The only way I finally managed to do this was with an unpartitioned cd and it created one big fat 32 partition on the hdd.  There is no ntfs created with a d drive and NO Acer E recovery installed.  As far as I can tell Acer erecovery partnered with symantec or rather slapped their name on symantecs tools.  Acer is no help.  I called symantec and they said go to knowledge base, we no longer help you with this product.  I went to KB and read about large image files needing ntfs file structure.  Tried to run gparted from cd but it would not run to partion the drive.  don't want to loose my Win xp install as I may never get it back!  I only have factory restore cd not windows xp cd
0 REPLIES 0