cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't rerun a duplicate job in BE 2014

samd
Level 3

Using Backup Exec 2014. I'm trying to rerun a duplicate job as I had a tape error and decided to erase the tape and then just rerun the duplicate jobs. However I can't seem to rerun the duplicate jobs. If I right click on the jobs and say run now they get skipped with the message:

e000e054 - The job was skipped because the source backup job is not present.

After that I decided to go to the Job history and find the backup job and right click on it and select duplicate from the menu. I set up a duplicate to run now and I get a dialog box with a message saying:

"Unable to insert the {0}.  Unknown reason {0}."

I have a duplicate that ran successfuly from that tape and I can't rerun it. Same for a failed one. The only one I was able to rerun was a job that was missed. That ran successfully.

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Go to the origonal Backup Set. Do this by opening the disk storage and try right clicking that and doing a duplicate from there

BTW I dont expect you to be able to run a duplicate from the job of a duplicate that has already run as the selection list for what to duplicate is removed once the duplicate has run once. The option you used is where for whatever reason the duplicate has not run yet. Your other problem states may be more of an issue, just the first part of your description (e000e054  error) would appear to be expected behavior.

Ag_BC
Level 4

I am having the same issues with error code e000e054. The duplicate backup job did not run and come with error code e000e054. I would expect as a function this will allow us to rerun the job not just show as skipped. Can backup exec 2014 fix this issues?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should post the error messages rather than just the error code.

It might be the the history for the duplicate job is corrupted.  You should recreate both the backup and duplicate jobs.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Ok just to explain a concept

When you first create a backup job definition that has an associated Duplicate job with it, two jobs are created but only 1 selection list as follows:

• Initial backup job with selection list containing data to be backed up
  • Duplicate Backup Job BUT NO actual selection list, just a link referencing it to the Initial job

NOTE: If at this point you try to run the duplicate it will give an error as it does not have any selections to backup

When you then run that initial backup the status changes to

• Duplicate Backup Job with selection list based on the catalog of the finished initial job

When the duplicate then runs (assuming it completes with a valid status i.e sucessfully or with exceptions) we remove the selection list of the duplicate from the job, so that the next time the duplicate runs it does NOT try to duplicate the original data from the first instance of it running. If we did not do this then you duplicate job would continue to try to duplicate every previous backup job. This results in the selection list status returning to:

• Duplicate Backup Job BUT NO actual selection list, just a link referencing it to the Initial job

Note: Again if you try to run the duplicate at this point (from the job) it will fail as there is no selections for the duplicate to backup.

if something happens to stop the duplicate from running after the initial backup, or if you deliberately schedule your duplicate to run less frequently than your initial backups (and as long as you are not using only duplicate last full) you end up with the following selection list association

• Duplicate Backup Job with selection list based on the catalog of the finished initial job from first instance of the initial job + selection list form catalog of 2nd instance + selection list from catalog of 3rd instance etc

When the duplicate that runs and completes with a valid status, the selection list for the duplicate is again cleared and again any futher attempts to run the duplicate (from the job) will again fail.

The above is all by design and will hopefully explain your initial problem and depdending on how you tried to do your other manual attempts to run a duplicate might explain some of your other senarios as well.

If however you go to the backup set view and setup a one off duplicate from here, a new duplicate job is created with it's own selection list - hence my earlier recommendation as this should work. If you cannot do a manual duplicate in this way then you should log a formal support case.

Notes:

If using the duplicate only last full option, when a new catalog is added to the duplicate selection list we remove any previous ones

BE2014  has logic to remove any orphan catalogs from the duplicate selections if the backup sets have expired and been deleted before they were duplicated (as otherwise this would also generate an error). BE 2012 did not have this logic and this did cause some issues.