cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't rerun a duplicate-most-recent-full job in BE 2014

rrolling
Level 3

Using Backup Exec 2014. The job was skipped (msg below) and I am not able to re-run the duplicate. If I right click on the job and say run now it is skipped again with the message:

e000e054 - The job was skipped because the source backup job is not present.

This is a similar situation to www.symantec.com/connect/forums/cant-rerun-duplicate-job-be-2014 but not identical. In this case the backup stage is configured to duplicate the Most Recent Full Backup - as far as I understand it should be possible to re-run. The last full backup was successful, went to a disk that is online and is not due to expire for several weeks.

I have deleted and re-created the duplicate stage. Hoping to avoid deleting and re-creating the entire job.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I would recommend to log a support case. I am guessing here there is an issue with duplicates when choosing duplicate most recent full backup and when the backup definition has multiple full stages such as Weekly & Monthly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Well you can go to the origonal Backup Set by opening the disk storage and right click and select duplicate backup set option .

rrolling
Level 3

Yes I could do that. There are quite a few backup sets in the full backup (it's a Hyper-V cluster), so it would take a while, furthermore I would like to see this job run so I don't have to manually duplicate the backup sets in the future.

VJware
Level 6

This usually happens if the source backup either did not run or if the backup sets aren't present.

Does this backup job have various fulls configured such as an yearly, monthly and weekly fulls each with their duplicates ?

rrolling
Level 3

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll try to give you a picture of what's going on. I'm certainly stumped.

As far as I can see, the prerequisites are met. Here is the scenario:

The backup source is a Hyper-V cluster with about 70 guests on several Cluster Shared Volumes. There is a backup job for each of the CSVs, these jobs must run concurrently due to backup window constraints. The schedule is a weekly full backup and daily incrementals, all going to a deduplication store then immediately duplicated to a deduplication store at a second site. All those jobs are running successfully from week to week, with occasional exceptions on a small number of guests. (I expect a few exceptions such as, maybe a guest was shut down when the backup occurred.)

The jobs also run a stage once a month to duplicate the most recent full backup to tape, for longer-term offsite retention. All of these stages ran successfully overnight, except one. I really can't see any difference between this job and the others. I can see backup sets on disk from the full backup and I have done a test restore from one of those sets, just to confirm that the backup set has at least some valid data.

VJware
Level 6

I would recommend to log a support case. I am guessing here there is an issue with duplicates when choosing duplicate most recent full backup and when the backup definition has multiple full stages such as Weekly & Monthly.

rrolling
Level 3

Thanks VJWare.

As a workaround I ran a one-off full backup direct to tape so the data could be taken offsite.

Considering that similar jobs in our environment are running fine and the impact has been low, I am calling this a one-off error unless/until it happens again. I will run a test after the next full backup (this weekend) and raise a support case if that job fails.