cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't restore a VMWare VM

GrangeTech
Level 2

I cannot run a restore of a VMWare VM.

I have been able to backup a VM with no problem. But when I try to restore it back then the job fails.
I have tried these:
Tried to restore from the ESXi host and chose 'restore to the original location' but it errors out.
"A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the Agent for Windows"

Tried to restore from the ESXi host and chose to redirect to the vCenter server - based on this article - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100034158 - stating that I need to redirect to the vCenter server. But it also errors out.
"Final error: 0xe000ff18 - A communications failure occurred the thie Virtual Machine resource"
"The virtual machine resource is not responding"
"Connection to the resource target has been lost"

All of the ESXi hosts and the vCenter server have been added to the server list in Backup Exec
We are running Backup Exec 20.1 on Windows 2012 R2 server.
VMWare is at 6.7 and the storage is SAN using Dell EMC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GrangeTech
Level 2

This was resolved. It turned out to be a permissions issue on the shares in the duplicate environment.

Which was strange since the share permissions were identical. But in the old environment one permission  was set to Read Only but in the new environment I needed to change it to Read/Write.

It was one of those things where you think 'well, I could try this. What the heck'. And it worked. Go figure.

Anyway, case closed. Thanks for the responses.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I8displaynames
Level 3

We use Veeam for our VM backups,  so I am no expert on this aspect of Backup Exec, but this page suggests its related to a snapshot that hasn't been removed. 

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100000706

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

can you share the always on debug log for beremote and bengine process. These would have created in BE Install path\logs folder when you attempted the restore (check the log matches the start and end timestamp of the restore job)

GrangeTech
Level 2

This was resolved. It turned out to be a permissions issue on the shares in the duplicate environment.

Which was strange since the share permissions were identical. But in the old environment one permission  was set to Read Only but in the new environment I needed to change it to Read/Write.

It was one of those things where you think 'well, I could try this. What the heck'. And it worked. Go figure.

Anyway, case closed. Thanks for the responses.