cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't restore differential VM backups

Gonzouk
Level 4

I'm using BUE 2010 R2 with all the latests patches.

We have a VMware infrastructure and have the VMware infrastructure licnese installed.  I have managed to create a policy with 2 templates, 1 being a full VM backup and the other being a differential backup.

BUE seems to backup the sever in full and differential just fine to tape.  I then deleted the server from VMware and managed to successfully restore the full backup from tape.

Now the issues with differential restores - I then deleted the server and just ran the differential restore as I read that it will automatically find the full backup and restore that with the differential, but this fails.  It just stays on restoring for ever and doesn't get past 100-200mb whenthe server is about 40gb, I think the differential backup is about 100-200mb, it is as if it can't find the full backup.

What am I doing wrong?
3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you leave it in that state long enough do you eventually get the "0xe0008105 - Invalid Physical Volume Library Media Identifier" error?

Also you installed the latest updates but did you run the manual (SQL) command listed in the install notes for Hotfix 147674?

Http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH147674

Gonzouk
Level 4

I left it for 24 hours and nohting happend and I have tried it a few times :(

Looks like my server needs service pack 1 and 4 hotfixes and also your 1 you suggested!  It says "Remote Agent for Windows Servers will need to be updated after installing this hotfix. requisites"  how do I do this?

Thanks

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You update the media server and then push the remote agent out from the media server to the remote servers (and the VMs)