cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't restrict backup to device when using policy - BE 2010 R3

FBSupport
Level 3

Hello, 

We have a BE CASO at one location, and an MMS at another, both with deduplication folders that are shared with each other.  Our WAN connection isn't the fastest so I would like to ensure that the backups are performed to the local server all the time instead of being targeted to the further device, saturating the network.  

When setting up a backup job without using a policy, I can restrict the job to the correct device.  However, I would like to use a policy so that I can have each job verified when it completes, but setting the job through a policy removes the option to restrict the job to a device.

Referring to this article (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH152733), it says that restriction should be used when using shared deduplication folders, but doesn't give me the option to do this.

The servers are set to perform 3 concurrent jobs, so what I'm worried about is if one job hangs or takes too long and it ends up with 4 going at once that it will end up sending the other one across the network.

Any advice on how I should handle this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you run any job, unless you uncheck the verify option, it will automatically verify after the backup.  Any backup job is a two-stage affair, first backup and then verify.  In fact, when you uncheck the verify option, you get a dire warning that you are doing something wrong.  There is no scheduling involved with a verify.  It is part of the job.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I would like to use a policy so that I can have each job verified when it completes

Even when you run a job, the verify stage will be done after the backup stage.  What makes you say that the verify will not run after the backup?

FBSupport
Level 3

The issue is that I can't just schedule them together.  I can go in manually after the backup has run and run a verify on that job, but that's a bit tedious.  With a policy you can link the jobs so that as soon as the backup finishes, the verify runs, which is what I want to have.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you run any job, unless you uncheck the verify option, it will automatically verify after the backup.  Any backup job is a two-stage affair, first backup and then verify.  In fact, when you uncheck the verify option, you get a dire warning that you are doing something wrong.  There is no scheduling involved with a verify.  It is part of the job.

FBSupport
Level 3

Ahh, not sure how I missed that, so looks like everything is working fine.  Thanks!