cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't run database utility, SQL errors

MitchR
Level 6

I'm trying to run the Backup Exec Utility, and getting SQL errors.  THe utility, for those that may not know, is at:

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BEUtility.exe

I'm on a Windows 2012 R2 server, running BE 2014 SP2, with full SQL Server 2014 installed locally.

When I try to do any operation with the utility, I get the following error:

Starting database utility operation.
     Failed to start the SQL service on:EMSBACK.
     Database utility for server EMSBACK canceled.

SQL is running just fine, regardless of what the utility thinks. 
Any tricks to getting the utility to run?

3 REPLIES 3

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What specific task are you trying to accomplish using BEUtility ?

Also, have you tried to restart the SQL instance before running BEUtility ?

You have already mentioned SP2, else this article would have been applicable - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH223777.html

MitchR
Level 6

I'm wanting to do some diagnostics on the database- but regardless of the reason, I should be able to run it.

I've tried rebooting several times, running with the BE services started & stopped.  SQL is running just fine.

My hunch is that BE is not liking the full instance of SQL we're running, and it's expecting the light-weight express version it comes with.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This error occurs when BEDB is attached to non-default SQL instance and which is not named BKUPEXEC.

The reason I asked you as to what specific task you were trying to run is maybe we could have offered a workaround while the BEUtility issue can be worked upon.

Regardless, pls log a formal support case for an engineer to have a look @ your setup and reference the above mentioned KB article. Thanks.