cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see tape statistics

backupnewb
Level 3

Hello Guys, I am new to backup exec and backup job as well, I am apologising in advance for my dumb questions.

I've got 3 questions.

We have a tape library HP MSL4048, I inserted a tape from oct 2015. When I go to backup exec, the tape's status is scratch media and I moved it to daily media set. the problem is, the statistics of the tape isn't showing.

second one is, in sources->resource credentials, I clicked test all, and some of the test results are returning "A communication failure has occured", I'm assuming it can't communicate to the resource provided, should I change or remove it?

last one, "Please insert overwritable media into the drive.", media is inside the tape library. 

15 REPLIES 15

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. The tape is in Scratch media hence no statistics. BE only holds catalogs for 90 days as a default and you'd probably need to Catalog the tape to see what's on it.

2. Test credentials aren't always an indication of a backup not succeeding. That said, make sure that port 10000 is open on any firewall running on the servers concerned, as well as making sure any AV installed isn't perhaps blocking the beremote.exe service from running properly.

3. You get this message when BE cannot append to, or write to a tape. With the MSL4048 you'd need to define a mailslot if you want to import tapes, assuming you don't have useable tapes in the library. At the end of the day ensure you have tapes available for backups to run properly, and check the Append/OPP settings of your media sets to make sure they're correct too.

Thanks!

backupnewb
Level 3

Thank you for the quick reponse.

For 1, I run catalog on the tapes but it's showing device paused. 

For 3, it this setting normal? 

overwrite.PNG

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified
To avoid the error message, make sure you have sufficient overwrapped tapes in your library BEFORE the start of the backup jobs. There is no such thing as a "normal" OPP and AP setting. They depend on your requirements. Read this document http://www.veritas.com/docs/000032654

backupnewb
Level 3

I did a testrun and its throwing this error,

Media Capacity Check
Device                   : HP 0008
Online append capacity   : 0.000 MB
Online overwrite capacity: 0.000 MB
Total append capacity    : 0.000 MB
Total overwrite capacity : 285,339,040 MB
Capacity check status    : Success
Miscellaneous            : 

Media Check
Online media check   : Insufficient online or nearline media is available to start job.
Overwrite media check: There is no media online or nearline that can be overwritten or the job has been marked append/terminate.
Media check status   : Failed

backupnewb
Level 3

Could you guys just tell me the procedures after replacing the tapes in the magazine? which steps to follow. 

Thanks

CraigV

You would change out tapes by doing the following:

1. In Backup exec --> Devices tab, right-click the library and choose: Unlock.

2. BE releases its hold on the library.

3. Pull out the 2 magazines in the library and remove the tapes you need too. You can refer to the job logs to check which tapes are no longer needed in the library and can be removed.

4. Put in new tapes.

5. Put in the magazines.

6. Run an Inventory. You can do so manually, or create a job and then just run it at will. If you have barcodes on the tapes then simply run a Scan.

Thanks!

backupnewb
Level 3

My tape is already scanned and it's showing in the devices, I created a job for it and its returning, 

"There is no media in the drive."

"Please insert overwritable media into the drive.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media.

Respond Yes to acknowledge.
Respond No to retry the operation.
Respond Cancel to cancel the operation."

backupnewb
Level 3

duplicate

CraigV

You're getting that message because the tape you put in isn't overwritable or appendable as I mentioned above. You can erase the tape and this will ensure it gets written too (as long as there are no hardware issues) or put in an appendable tape. You need to manage this.

Thanks!

backupnewb
Level 3

it's showing in the status that it is not appendable but overwritable. check screenshot.

3.PNG

CraigV

Erase the tape and try again...

backupnewb
Level 3

I run it before and the job in the job monitor runs til tomorrow. and the percentage of the progress isn't showing. check SS below.

earase.PNG

CraigV

OK. Stop the BE services and download your tape manufacturer's diagnostic utility.

Run a diagnostic check to rule out hardware issues as well as trying to do a hardware-level erase of the tape in question.

Make sure BE is fully patched and you're using the Symantec drivers for your tape drive. Run tapeinst.exe to install them.

Thanks!

backupnewb
Level 3

The tape library is working fine, it was working 2 weeks ago, I'm using backup exec 2010 r3. 

I noticed that the mailslot is disabled in the webpage of the tape library.

CraigV

Is it enabled within BE itself? On that tape in the Media tab within BE, check to see if you have any Hard Write Errors...if you do, then the tape is bad and should be replaced.

Thanks!