cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't uninstall remote server agent from Exchange 2007 server.

TomCr
Level 3
Using BE v 12.5 with SP3. Accidentally pushed out the remote server agent to an Exchange 2007 SP2 server, instead of loading the exchange agent.

Tried to uninstall the remote agent on the exchange server using the remove option from add/remove programs, but get the following error: “Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid.”

If the ‘change’ option is selected in ‘add/remove programs’, the error returned is: “Please provide original BEWS install media to re-apply transforms

If I try to just install the Exchange agent from the installation disk, it says a remote agent is already installed on the server and must first be removed.

How can I remove the improperly installed remote agent and install the correct exchange agent?
11 REPLIES 11

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

The installed remote agent agent has some problems.

Copy 2 folders on a seperate folder on the Exchange server form the Backup Exec Server....
namely : C:\prog. files\symantec\backup exec\agents\RAWSx64 and MSXML
Open the command prompt on the Exchange server and navigate to the folder
Example : D:\Agent\RAWSx64\>setupx64.cmd
and run the file setupx64.cmd OR setyp64.cmd

This will install the remote agent in the SILENT Mode, then we will be able to uninstall the remote agent through Add/Remove Programs..
If it asks for the “Please provide original BEWS install media to re-apply transforms”, plea provide the D:\AGENT\RAWSx64 path where we have copied the folder

hope this helps...

TomCr
Level 3
Thanks.  I have copied the folders, and I want to verify the file names before trying.  The cmd files I have in the RAWSX64 directory are:

Setupaax64.cmd
Setupaofox64.cmd
Uninstallaaofox64.cmd

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you want to backup Exchange on another server, that server must be running the RemoteAgent before the media server will connect.   the Exchange serial is merely a key that "unlocks" the capability on the media server, not actual code that goes on the Exchange server

TomCr
Level 3
I know.  I have a media server, both remote server agent licenses and remote exchange server licenses, and I used the media server it to push out a remote server agent to the exchange server.  I did not load the exchange server agent on the exchange server, which I believe is the correct procedure.

In any case, I discovered the problem when I tried to backup the exchange server and it couldn't open the mail store.  Upon further investigation I discovered I was suppose to load the exchange agent locally on the exchange server, not push it out remotely from the media server.  At least, that is what I understand if I am not mistaken.

I just want to uninstall the remote agent so I can load the exchange agent, but I can not uninstall the remote agent now.

CarolineKiel
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi Tom,
The thing with the agents might be a little confusing.
The agent on the remote machines (the sources for backup) are (nearly) always the same bits and bytes. All the functionality and logic is coming from the media server. So if you enter the serial for an exchange agent, the features needed to backup an Exchange server and information store are unlocked on the media server. But the agent installed on the Exchange server is exactly the same as on a file server or a SQL server.

Hope this helps,
Oliver
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

TomCr
Level 3
OK, thanks.  So, in other words, you're saying all I have to do is just push out the remote agent out from the media server to the exchange server just like a regular server agent, and it's actually just the same agent?

Thanks for the clarification, but now I just need to be able to uninstall the agent so I can reinstall it and get it working, because it appears to be malfunctioning and I can not uninstall it.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

Use Setupaax64.cmd to install the remote agent...Then we can uninstall the remote agent through Add/Remove Programs.

Do not use Setupaofox64.cmd, as it will uninstall the Advance Open File Option (AOFO)

Hope this helps...

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Try the below listed steps in order to remove the BE agent. 

Method 1 -

1.  Download Microsoft installer cleanup utility and install on exchange server. ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301)
2. Run the utility from Start --> Programs --> Windows Install Cleanup
3. Select BackupExec Agent for Windows Servers
4. Click Remove
5. Click Exit

Method 2 -

Remove Following keys from registry.

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ BackupExecAgentAccelerator 
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\DLO   [If DLO is not being used].
    4. Remove all RAWS  files from install directories (Note: %SystemRoot% is typically C:\Windows)
Backup Exec Remote agent  Installation Directory. The default installation directory is C:\Program Files\Symantec \Backup Exec\RAWS
   5. Make sure that Symantec Backup Exec Remote agent for Windows Servers is not  present in Add/Remove Programs.
   6.Reboot the server.
   7.Install RAWS manually [Please refer the tech note in related documents below.]
   8. Confirm if the Backup Exec Remote agent for Windows Servers service  is started or not.
   9. If it still says "Starting"   then try to start the Backup Exec Remote agent service from the command prompt by running the command : beremote -console 
  10.Open  command prompt and log on to directory  X:\Program Files\Symantec\BackupExec\Raws\ and type "beremote -console" 
  Note : {X:\ is drive letter where BEWS remote agent installed.}

11. At the end it flashes an error

12. Open an Internet Explorer,Click on Tools - Internet Options - Programs, At the Email option select Microsoft Office Outlook as the default mail client - Click Ok.  
  13. Restart the Backup Exec Remote agent for Windows Servers service.
  14. Now  Backup Exec Remote agent for Windows Servers service should be up & running.

for more information on the same refer to below mentioned technote.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/317718.htm

Hope this resolves the problem

TomCr
Level 3
Sorry for the delay in marking this resolved.  I've had to work on putting other fires out and haven't finished testing.  I will update this thread ASAP.

Thanks again.

Eyetealady
Not applicable
I am not experienced with Backup Exec 12.5 which is installed on my customer's SBS2003 server.  The backup routine had been created by a predecessor and was failing.  I looked at the device it was backing up to and it said it was Offline so I corrected that and assumed it would then work, as it had previously worked fine.  That same day while on-site, I added the Remote Agent utility as I wanted to get all the PCs on the network to be backed up too.  Unfortunately what I seem to have done is to install the Remote agent on the server itself and now BE is telling me it cant find the Remote Agent to run the backup.  Could you tell me how to uninstall the Remote Agent from the server.  It doesn't appear in Add/Remove programs. Perhaps you could also point me in the direction of how to set up the Remote Agent correctly so I can backup the PST files on the pcs on the network.   Further, the Daily Backup routine is now looking at "All Resources" as what it is going to backup and I can't see how to change that so that I can select what I want to include in the backup routine?  Your help would be brilliant!!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
This really should  be a new thread , as you have (slightly) different issues