cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't upgrade from BExec 15 1180 to FP1

fmiermont
Level 3

Hello,

I have a Windows 2012R2 server with Bexec 15, named BEXEC, with a remote SQL Database on the server named SERVERSQL.

I'm unable to upgrade my BExec 15 v 1180 to FP1. I'm getting a security error :

"Can write to the file \\SERVERSQL\C$\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\PTFEB6.tmp"

SERVERSQL is the remote server on which the Bexec's Database is running.

On the event viewer of SERVERSQL, I can find the security audit failure :

A network share object was accessed.

Subject:
    Security ID:        SOCIETY\BEXEC$
    Account Name:        BEXEC$
    Account Domain:        SOCIETY
    Logon ID:        0x323CD02F

Network Information:    
    Object Type:        File
    Source Address:        192.168.88.37
    Source Port:        52801

Share Information:
    Share Name:        \\*\C$
    Share Path:        \??\C:\

Access Request Information:
    Access Mask:        0x1
    Accesses:        ReadData (or ListDirectory)

What should I do ?

Thanks !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

fmiermont
Level 3

Solution is here :

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/error-1310-when-installing-symantec-backup-exec-feature-pack-1

In short, as I suspected, the computer account of the Bexec Server needs more rights on the SQL Server. Add the computer account to the local administrators group of SQL Server and voila !

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Is there an AV installed? If so, stop and disable it and try again.

XexeX
Level 4

I got the same problem, no AV installed on BE and SQL. tried to grant everyone modified "bin" folder but got the same error.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The permissions must be set to C:\Program Files\Miscrosoft SQL Server and to the SQL registry key as well.

Secondly, remove the .tmp file and retry the FP1 install again.

XexeX
Level 4

I don't know where the registry keys are, but I've granted the permissions of SQL folder.

Got the same result.....

VJware
Level 6

Registry keys are :-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\mssqlserver

Are you also using a remote SQL instance for BE like the original poster ?

XexeX
Level 4

Yes, the Backup Exec and SQL Server is run as a same domain admins account.

and, here is the result:

09-02-2015,14:46:18 : Freed the Module
09-02-2015,14:46:18 : Action 14:46:18: InstallFiles. Copying new files
09-02-2015,14:46:52 : \\SQL2014\c$\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\CatSqlSPs.dll
+ 09-02-2015,14:46:53 : ERROR: Error 1310.Error writing to file: \\SQL2014\c$\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\PT77E8.tmp. Verify that you have access to that directory.
09-02-2015,14:46:53 : Action 14:46:53: Rollback. Rolling back action:

VJware
Level 6

Did you remove the .tmp file as requested earlier ?

What security permissions have been provided to the remote SQL's registry keys and folders ?

fmiermont
Level 3

I don't have any AV on both server.

When you say "The permissions must be set to C:\Program Files\Miscrosoft SQL Server and to the SQL registry key as well." what do you mean exactly ?

Which user should have rights to write on the folder ? And how about the registry ?

Regards,

XexeX
Level 4

I can't find *.tmp in the bin folder, even installing the update.

Everyone - Full control, but i'm not sure it's registry problem....

VJware
Level 6

System, Administrator & the BE account should have Full Control over \Program Files\Miscrosoft SQL Server and over the above mentioned registry keys.

Remove the .tmp file as well which is referenced in the install log.

fmiermont
Level 3

Still have issue... On the audit log, I see the failure, but it is the Computer account, not the BE account ?

the .tmp file does not exist (I guess it can't create it).

VJware
Level 6

Are you able to access administrative shares of the remote SQL server (such as C$) via the BE server ?

Under which account is the SQL instance running ?

Would recommend to log a formal support case so that an engineer can have a look @ your setup and figure out what's going wrong.

fmiermont
Level 3

From the BE server I can access \\SERVERSQL\C$\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\, write files, delete files etc

The SQL Instance is running under NT Service\MSSQLServer account.

I was guessing that this forum was the official support case, where should I do that ?

Regards,

VJware
Level 6

Ideally, the SQL instance for BE should be running under the Local System Account or in certain cases, the BE domain account.

You can log a case either via the web or the phone - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/contact-us.html

Try the suggestion as per this post as well - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/error-1310-when-installing-symantec-backup-exec-feature-pack-1

fmiermont
Level 3

Solution is here :

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/error-1310-when-installing-symantec-backup-exec-feature-pack-1

In short, as I suspected, the computer account of the Bexec Server needs more rights on the SQL Server. Add the computer account to the local administrators group of SQL Server and voila !