cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't upgrade or uninstall!

Jack_Mike
Level 3
Hey guys, I currently have Veritas 9.0 4454 installed on a Windows 2000 server. Has been working fine for a few months then the backups started failing or hanging. The only error I've seen is "The job failed with the following error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." If however I manually start and watch the job it runs for a longer period (but still fails). I tried upgrading to SP1 but it fails (Install Wizard ERROR!). I also tried upgrading to v10 but that fails too. So I then tried to uninstall and start fresh but I can't even uninstall it (An error ocurred while trying to remove Veritas Backup Exec for Windows Servers. It may have already been uninstalled).

The other error I noticed is in the event viewer/system log = \Device\Tape0, has a bad block.

Any ideas/suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

It seems that you cannot uninstall BE 10d.

Please check the error that you receive in bkupinst.log.
check for last entry and in that check for "return value: 3" or failed.

Please paste that part of bkupinst.log

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jack_Mike
Level 3
I'm trying to uninstall 9.0 4454, not 10d. I tried to install 10d but it failed.

The error in the log is:
05-31-2006,05:12:16 : DEBUG: Error 2755: Server returned unexpected error 3 attempting to install package .
05-31-2006,05:12:16 : ERROR: 1: 2755 2: 3 3:

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please see the technote to resolve the issue:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/264094

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jack_Mike
Level 3
Had a look at the technote but didn't help. The security settings were correct (I have full control to the require folders).

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Have you also tried deleting registry ?

We would like to know , was the uninstallation successful ?

If no,please perform the following steps :

1.Install MSI Cleanup Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290301 .
2.Check any other backup exec component is still there on the hard drive and then remove it and reboot the server once.
3.start the reinstall

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.