cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use remote administrative share and can't user mapped drive to the admin share

JMIKER
Level 3

Recently installed 21 on Hyper-V 2016 after running 2010 R3 for about a decade.

I'm trying to connect to a remote server and folder using \\server\d$\folder. I DO NOT WANT to share the folder since getting hit with ransomware back in December.

But when I try to add storage with the admin share it says administrative shares are not allowed and if I map a drive letter to the folder it says it's a "CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or RAM drive" and that's not allowed.

I have not yet installed the agent from this version on that server, would that make a difference? Is there some step further in setting up a backup job that would allow it? Perhaps some option in settings?

Thanks. Mike

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What you can do is

1) Load the agent on the source server.

2) Create a job to back up this server and then exclude everything except the folder(s) that you want to back up.

Thanks for the response. I apologize for this late reply but I thought I'd checked the setting to be alerted when there were any responses.

I'll install the agent on a test machine (which is what I should have done to begin with) and see how it works. Thanks again

JMIKER
Level 3

Actually, I was not clear in my OP. I want to use the remote machine as the backup target, not the source. So I'm trying to create a 'disk storage device' on a remote machine, using that machine's administrative share. Again, since I got hit with ransomware last year, and my BEWS backups were encrypted, I definitely want to avoid as many shares as possible.

This is what I see:

BEWSError01.jpg

Thanks!