cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the backup server be a DNS

Bkeith
Level 3
 I have a server running Veritas 8.5 on Windows 2000, Can I set up Active Directory and a DNS server on the same machine for a few days? Will their be any technical issues ?

Keith

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

THarry
Level 5
 Hello Keith,

You can, there is no technical reason why this cannot be done.

Just a thing though, the backup server is probably the most rebooted server on the network - so if this is the only DNS DC on the network, you may be working long hours waiting for a chance to reboot the server if issues arise.

Harry

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

I have seen people installing Backup Exec on a single domain and domain controller forest, I dont think it will be an issue installing BE on a DNS or a DC.

THarry
Level 5
 Hello Keith,

You can, there is no technical reason why this cannot be done.

Just a thing though, the backup server is probably the most rebooted server on the network - so if this is the only DNS DC on the network, you may be working long hours waiting for a chance to reboot the server if issues arise.

Harry

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi,

We have a number of sites where the backup server doubles as a Domain Controller, file and print, Exchange and DHCP...it can be done, and BEWS doesn't really care what role the server does as lon as it is a supported configuration for a full installation...

Laters!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Also if BEWS is already instaleld on a server then it's service and logon acco8unst will be currently configured for an account - if any of the settings use a local account instead of a domain account then after you make the server a Domain Controller you will have to change all the BEWS security as DC's do not allow local accounts.