cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we backup SAP on SUSE ?

Allen_John
Level 4

agent for SAP available for SUSE ?

if not. can we backup SAP via flat file backup ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  BE 2012 does not support SAP backup on any platform.  See the SCL below

BE 2012 SCL

No.  You cannot backup the underlying SAP databases as flat files because they are automatically excluded by AFE.  You also should not be backing up the underlying Oracle databases using the Oracle agent.  See my blog below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/can-i-backup-sap-database-sql-or-oracle-agent

If you need to backup SAP, take a look at NetBackup.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  BE 2012 does not support SAP backup on any platform.  See the SCL below

BE 2012 SCL

No.  You cannot backup the underlying SAP databases as flat files because they are automatically excluded by AFE.  You also should not be backing up the underlying Oracle databases using the Oracle agent.  See my blog below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/can-i-backup-sap-database-sql-or-oracle-agent

If you need to backup SAP, take a look at NetBackup.

Allen_John
Level 4

Thanks for your word.

is it possible that we can take only oracle backup through oracle agent. what are the things which really need to be backed up under SAP.

=========================

correct  me if I am wrong. If I need to restore the machine on which Oracle is installed with SAP. Following are the steps:

1.  Install SUSE Linux.
  2.  Install Oracle on SUSE linux.
  3.  Restore the Oracle Database.
  4. Install SAP application and define the Oracle path in it.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Do read my blog which is referenced above why you should not backup the underlying Oracle database

Muhammad_Nazaka
Level 4
Partner Accredited

BE 2012 does not support SAP agent, Please see the attached SCL file.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Thank you for confirming what I said in my first answer.

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

@pkh

As per your blog what I have come to know that the backup should be taken via the SAP application. Correct ?

What will we do when we have an application which dont have agent offered by BackupExec or Netbackup ? ( Like there are plenty of application in the market like Termenos or etc. )

===================

I have a client who has a big financial application which connects to MS SQL 2008 database. The SQL 2008 comprise on multiple databases. This client multiple times restore the DB in a week. He never complain to us about your saying in the blog. My second question please.

When it backs up the SAP database, it will make sure that the updates to DB1, DB2 and DB3 are backed up together.

Pleae confirm the above highlighted from the guide please.

Allen_John
Level 4

??

is it posssible that we can only take oracle backup via backupexec oracle agent where sap application is also installed on that system ?

CraigV

...if you have an agent for which there is no agent, then you'd need to dump a backup of that application to disk and then use BE to back it up to tape.

I've seen you're active on the NBU forums, and the concept of supported applications and how to get around backing them up would be the same.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If these Oracle databases are not part of SAP, then yes.  If they are part of SAP, then no.  Do read my blog which is referenced above why you should not backup the underlying Oracle database

Allen_John
Level 4

i read the blog but hv few questions........

yes as a db the oracle is connected with sap application. 

is the sap application lock the oracle db ? and backupexec will not be allowed to take the oracle backup

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  There is no lock.  There is nothing to prevent you from backing up the underlying databases, but what good would the backup be if you cannot get a logical consistent SAP application after you have done a restore?

RogerR
Level 3
Employee

pkh answer is correct - you can backup the underlying database via the Oracle agent (there is no lock).

As per pkh blog, the question is: does your SAP installation have multiple Oracle databases or is it just one.

If it is just one database then a backup and recovery via the Oracle agent will bring the Oracle part of the SAP installation back. Still some additional steps might be required from the SAP site to have the SAP installation post recovery working again.

Allen_John
Level 4

but in my case i have more than one database

pkh
   VIP    Certified
.... then whatever I say in my blog applies

Zahid_Haseeb

See the below it may help

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189650

Allen_John
Level 4

I have one suspicion. Does Symantec officially support this document ?

www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH189650

CraigV

...really? That's an official Symantec document so Symantec officially support it...wink

Allen_John
Level 4

Yes you are right. Actually I want to listen your words from Symantec Emp :)

CraigV

1. It is an official Symantec document...

2. It was written by an official Symantec tech...

3. I suspect you can trust that Symantec support this document...

4. If you don't believe it, log a call with them and they will confirm they do support it...

5. If they didn't support it, this document wouldn't exist.

Please rather ask questions like this directly of Symantec by logging a call if you don't want to follow the advice in their official document.

Thanks!