cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you tell me if this FC connection is supported by Backup Exec

s900
Level 2

Hello,

We currently run BE15 on a Windows server, a FC library containing one drive is attached to it.

As 50% of our job is NAS based (netapp filer) we plan to acquire a new drive for our current library and plug this drive directly to the same library we currently use. The first drive we own will still be used to backup our VMware infra (the other 50% of our backup amount)

So in the end it would looks like :

FC library schema.PNG

Is this configuration supported by Backup Exec ? Goal is to run 2 simultaneous job, one using the network of the BE server for the VMs backup, and the other job running to backup the data directly coming from the NetApp NAS.

Thank you !!!

8 REPLIES 8

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I would say yes. Probably you will have to configure your library in two partitions. So each drive has dedicated 12 tape slots assigned.

Keep in mind that you require the BE NDMP option for the direct backup of the NetApp and probably a LEO (Library Extension Option) for the second drive.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Is Backup Exec running the backups of the NetApp or something else?

Scenario 1 - Backup Excec does not run the NetApp backups

- If you can configure and zone the library so it presents itself is 2 complete libraries (such that there is a robotic/loader arm, one drive and specific tape slots in each side) then it should work as Backup Exec will be unaware of the other 'half' of the library and will treat what it can see as just one library. If you cannot configure this type of split then the software running the backups of the NetApp will have issues controlling the loader arm if Backup Exec also needs it and vice versa (Contention).  We probably don't do any official testing of such a split setup (but that does not mean it won't work)

Scenario 2 - Backup Exec does run the NetApp backups.

- Usually it is better to zone every part of the libary to both the NetApp and the BE server and let Backup Exec itself handle the sharing of the components within the library. Note the robotic arm stil needs connecting to both BE server and NetApp as BE controls it directly for the non-Netapp backups and instructs the NetApp to control it for the NetApp backups. We have tested this type of setup in the past although I am not sure if we test with the drives zoned separately or presented everywhere.

s900
Level 2

Hello guys, thanks for your fast answers !

We currently already use the NDMP option to backup the NetApp filer, but all the data flow goes through the network card of the BE server which is absolutely not optimized !

My idea is that BE runs the NetApp backup, I mean that BE will instruct the filer to do the backup. So the network data flow between the BE server and the NetApp is very poor, only control data and index will go through the network.

In parallel of this job I want another jobs which will continue to use the network card of the BE server to do the VMs backup.

So Colin, we would be in Scenario 2, so I would not zone my library at all (I keep the current setting, and then I woul have one big zone containing 2 drives). Each job will be limked to a specific Drive : for the NetApp backup job, it will be linked to Drive 2 (BE will see the drive through the NetApp filer), for the backup of the VM, BE will use the already owned Drive 1.

How to be sure that this setup will work before buying this second drive, doing the test and maybe crying ? :)

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I assume that you have a fibre channel switch also?  or are you truly running direct FC cables?

So, you currently have BE 15, with the NDMP option?  Is the NetApp filer currently connected via FC to anything?

You have two choices here:

1) connect BE, the tape library and the Netapp filer to an FC switch and let everything share.  Fully supported.  Most flexible as you configure your jobs to use the desired tape drive.  If one drive fails, the cleanup is pretty easy and both tasks could run to one drive, they would just be sequential.

2) partition the tape library into two logical libraries.  Use direct FC connections (no FC switch) or FC zoning (with an FC switch) so that BE sees 1 logical library and NetApp sees the other logical library.  Fully supported.  Less flexibility as you cannot under any circumstances run two "things/jobs" from the BE server (not involving the NetApp) at once as it will only have one tape drive available.

s900
Level 2

Hi all, hi Larry,

We don't have any FC switch. The NetApp is directly plugged to 2 ESXi servers.

Remaining FC plug of the NetApp will be used to connect the 2nd tape drive, as described on my drawing.

Ok so as I understand, it is supported to configure the hardware as described on my drawing. Conditons are :

- Split my library into 2 logical libraries (so I get 2 times 1 drive and 12 slots). Let drive 1 plugged on the BE server, plug drive 2 on the NetApp filer.

- BE can run 2 simultaneous jobs involving VMs and a second job involving the NetApp CIFS volume (through NDMP).

=> BE can't run 2 simultaneous jobs including VMs and physical servers for exemple as it only sees 1 drive (the other one is seen through the NetApp).

Am I right ? :)

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

- Split my library into 2 logical libraries (so I get 2 times 1 drive and 12 slots). Let drive 1 plugged on the BE server, plug drive 2 on the NetApp filer.

Each logical library doesn't have to have eaxactly 12 slots.  Most libraries allow you to pick the number of slots assigned.  Nothing wrong with 12 if it is your optimum answer.

- BE can run 2 simultaneous jobs involving VMs and a second job involving the NetApp CIFS volume (through NDMP).

clarification?  BE can run 2 simultaneous jobs.  One job involving VMs (data flows over Ethernet to the BE server, then FC to the first tape drive) and a second job involving the NetApp CIFS volume ((data flows from NetApp to the second tape drive using FC under NDMP command)).

=> BE can't run 2 simultaneous jobs including VMs and physical servers for exemple as it only sees 1 drive (the other one is seen through the NetApp).

yup.  although you can add some disk staging on the BE server to backup other things while the one tape drive is busy, then move it to tape when the drive becomes available.

This fine post from Colin may also help guide you.  https://www.veritas.com/community/blogs/lan-free-including-san-backup-configurations-with-backup-exec

s900
Level 2

Ok guys I think I got the info I need !

Do you know what's the maximum distance I can have between my NetApp and the library ? In my case it would be 0,3 miles. is that ok ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

That's down to FC and Single Mode vs. Multimode. Read up on your FC switch manufacturer's best practice.