cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel Pending...

FabianPelle
Level 2

Hi,

I need to edit a backup Job, but a verify Job was running. So I canceled it. Now the verify Job hangs at "Cancel Pending". Does anybody know of a way to force the cancel of any Job?

At the Moment there are around 20 other backup Jobs running, so shutdown the Server or restart any Services isn't an Option.

I've got this all the time, that some Job hangs at different states and the only solution I've ever heard from the Support or read in the net would be to shut down the Server or stop the Services, ou sorry, it's Backup Exec, I mean to kill the Services over Task Manager, because they also can't be stopped over the GUI without failures.

A way to force this would be a great benefit.
As I have to backup around 100 Servers, I can't always just restart the Server. There is always a Duplicate Job, Backup Job or catalog Job which is running and I would have to search and restart these Jobs.

Thank you for a Feedback and have a nice Weekend
Fabian

11 REPLIES 11

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The quickest way to force a cancel of a job is to restart all the BE services.  There is no other way.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It will cancel eventually... It has to clean up some processes and that's why it takes that long.

Only solution I know of is what pkh says...and thats not really a solution either.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It may or may not be able to clean up the problems. Thus you may be waiting forever

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Correct, but I understand FabianPelle's problem, we have multiple big backup exec environments and sometimes its just impossible to do a services restart without killing any jobs...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...then the only option is to leave the job. I've seen BE actually complete what it needed to do once. The rest of the times I had to do a restart of the services, and you never know why it's stalling with the job.

Thanks!

FabianPelle
Level 2
wow, you're really fast with responding, that's great! Thanks for that. I had to restart all Services and after that, also the canceled Job was canceled successfully. After that I had to check if every other Job was running fine and a lot of time got lost. That is really depressing and is not the first time this happens. What CraigV wrote is perfectly right: "you never know why it's stalling with the Job" Does anybody know of a way how to troubleshoot BE and maybe see where it gets stuck? If I would know the process which timed out, maybe I could force it a bit better. Thank you for all the answers and have a nice day.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Most of the times it does complete, but then you miss alot of backups ... I don't understand why this is such a big problem for Backup Exec, I never have this issue in any netbackup environment

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Look at the eventlogs of both the media and remote servers. There might be something in them

FabianPelle
Level 2
Thanks for the hint. I've checked the logs and haven't found anything regarding my issue. Thank you for your help and have a nice day.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...then your choices are:

1. leave it cancel (and I personally have only ever seen this happen twice);

2. Cancel the job and restart everything else manually if they aren't running.

If this is a B2D strategy, then leaving it to complete isn't an issue as you can increase the number of concurrent backup jobs to disk. Not so with tape unless you have multiple drives in an autoloader/library.

Thanks!

Grayc
Level 4
Certified

Since upgrading to BE 15 FP1 last week, any job I need to cancel just goes into an eternal "Cancel Pending" state.  That rates a big "Boo" in my book.

Right now I am restarting my media server again in order to stop a "Cancel Pending" that has been pending for over 3 hours.  Over this past weekend, I had one that lasted the whole week until I literally restarted the media server.

Stopping BE services from within BE 15 FP1 just does not work at all!  Not sure how it managed pass the quality check.  What happens is it only stops the "Backup Exec Job Engine" then a pop-up window appears stating, "One or More Backup Exec server services has failed to stop"  If you unhide the "Additional technical details,"  you see the following:  "The service is taking a long time to stop.  Wait a few minutes and try again.  If the problem persists, stop the process and try again."

I think that section of code in Backup Exec needs to be re-evaluated in the test/development environment until it functions properly.

I've been on board with Backup Exec since version 11D and this is the first version that I have encountered that requires me to restart my media server in order to cancel a backup job!

Darnest thing, indeed!