cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel a job running too long?

MitchR
Level 6

We had this working fine under BE 2010, but now that we're on BE 2014, I think things have changed for the worse.

I have a backup job that I want to be available to run within a 24hr window. We *need* daily backups.  For this particular server, we need to lock some files to get a consistent state backup - but we can't keep the files locked for too long.  We have a pre-job to lock, and a post-job to unlock. No problem.

Here's the catch - I want the backup job to cancel if it runs longer than 4 hours from whenever it actually started. (not from when it was scheduled)

Under the job's schedule section, there's an option to cancel the job - but the minimum time is the reschedule time plus 1 hour.  I don't want that.  I want the job to run for sure today, but only for up to 4 hours from the actual start time.

Is there a way to do this with BE 2014?

BE-Issue.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. Your screenshot shows the only options available

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. Your screenshot shows the only options available

MitchR
Level 6

I'm looking for a little more in an answer.

How do other people address this problem?  Are there any workarounds?

I know I'm not the only one with this requirement when running backups.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I don't think this is possible at all. Those options are the only ones I know of.

Only idea that comes to my mind is using bemcmd to start the job from the client remotely. So when the files are locked and ready for backup you call the the job to start. But I don't think that you have any control on how long it wil run using that method. But I can't find any BEMCMD documentation for 2014...