cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel pending - hangs forever.

Agust
Level 5

Hi,

I have a job that was running but there was no data coming in so I thought I would cancel it and restart the backup exec agent on the server being backed up. But when the job is caceled it goes into cancel pending mode and does nothing. Just hangs in cancel pending.

This happens a lot of the time and is wildly annoying so I thought maybe someone knows how to stop the job.

Restarting the backup exec services on the media server is not an acceptable solution since there is another job running there that takes 12 hours and is already 4 hour into its run.

Best regards,
Agust.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

It's quite possible that the job is waiting for something to complete before the job completes. Unfortunately, this never seems to happen, and it looks like it has been around for a while (I have seen it in 11d, 12.5 and 2010!).

The best things I could suggest would be to update your BE media server with available patches (upgrade to BE 2010 R3 if you aren't already running it) and push these updates out to the remote servers you might have. If this doesn't work, then go to the actual job itself and open it up...check what server it was on when you cancelled the job and then restart the RAWS agent on it. This should cancel the job and fail it, depending on whether or not it is your media server.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV

Hi there,

It's quite possible that the job is waiting for something to complete before the job completes. Unfortunately, this never seems to happen, and it looks like it has been around for a while (I have seen it in 11d, 12.5 and 2010!).

The best things I could suggest would be to update your BE media server with available patches (upgrade to BE 2010 R3 if you aren't already running it) and push these updates out to the remote servers you might have. If this doesn't work, then go to the actual job itself and open it up...check what server it was on when you cancelled the job and then restart the RAWS agent on it. This should cancel the job and fail it, depending on whether or not it is your media server.

Thanks!

Agust
Level 5

You are right this problem is persistent in backup exec and noone seems to want to address it.

I have all the patches and upgrades appart from the R3.

The remote computers all have the updates and patches as well (both windows updates and backup exec).

The job was hanging on "system state" but this knowledge does not help me to cancel the job.

I have restarted the RAWS on the server being backed up but still the job just hangs.

So... any other suggestions?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

If the job is stuck in cancel pending, you can canel it by restarting the services and you might need to Kill the beengine process as the BE job engine service would not stop .

CraigV

...the OP stated restarting services isn't an option as this will kill a job that has already been running for 4 hours...

CraigV

...I'd go with putting this in as an idea on the Ideas section above.

That said, couple of things to try:

1. Stop your AV and run a backup of that affected server's System State. See if it completes. if it does, put in an exclusion for the RAWS agent on that server, or find a way to allow BE access to the System State.

2. Uninstall the RAWS agent from that server and reinstall via a push-install from within BE.

Thanks!

Agust
Level 5

I will try to stop the antivirus and back up (but the same antivirus is running on all the other servers without problem).

Uninstall and reinstall I can do but pushinstall almost never works. It mostly says "remote registry is unavailable" or something like that.

I will have to wait untill tomorrow to do this since the job still hangs and it does not really address the issue of the hanging in cancel state issue.

Agust
Level 5

Is there really no way to stop a backup?

CraigV

...to be honest, no. If you have multiple jobs running you'd need to kill your services which you stated isn't an option.

I have hit the support flag so maybe someone from Symantec picks up on this.

That said, I'd also suggest you head on over to the Ideas section and post it as an idea...this has been around for a while!

This is not a solution!  After more than 6 years I'm reading this and trying to figure out something that will work.  You would think in 2014 version they would have fixed this.  I'm distugusted with this product and I'm wondering if anyone even cares, besides users and the community!