cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Catalog Media

Level 2
I am unable to catalog any media. I receive the following error:

The requested media is not listed in the media index and could not be mounted. To add the media's catalog information to the disk-based catalogs, run an inventory operation on the media and resubmit the Catalog operation.

I have run the inventory (which succeeds). I have tried both the Veritas drivers and the windows native drivers both with the same result. Any help?

Windows XP SP2
Veritas 10.0
Certance Ultrium 2
15 REPLIES 15

Level 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You may have a partially corrupt catalog file

See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191281.htm

Level 2
This did not work. I even did a complete uninstall and then manually deleted any left over BE folders to be safe.

The catalog process ran for about 30 minutes and then I received the error again.

Jim_Bollinger
Level 4
I have seen this error, and I'm currently working with tech support on a whole host of catalog issues. They keep wanting to blame the setup, but it seems like their catalog code is buggy.

I saw this error specifically with trying to catalog 9.1 tapes on the v10 server.

Richard_Baldock
Level 3
I have the exact same problem when trying to catalog on BE10.
I am using only disk as a backup medium. cannot be dirvers issues.
I also get "Inconsistent Media" when trying to restore.
I am finding this to be quite a "difficult" product!

Level 2
I have changed the SCSI card, cable, server....all with the same result. It appears that this is some kind of software bug.

Jim_Bollinger
Level 4
Here is what I've been finding while working with Tech Support:

1. When attempting to catalog multiple-tape media sets written by either BE 8.6 or 9.1 on a V10.0 SP1 server, looping can occur causing two passes through the tapes.

2. The cataloging behavior for the same set of tapes will vary based on which tape in the sequence is the selected tape which starts the catalog operation.

3. Cataloging of multiple-tape media sets written with v9.1 may generate job failures referencing problems with missing or un-inventoried tapes that are spurious (all tapes present and already in inventory). The cataloging operation may actually have been successful.

My 9.1 tapes are actually duplicates of save set data originally backed up to disk devices. I've never received errors on any operations involving the tapes which I am using for the experiment.

Jim_Bollinger
Level 4
bump

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

If the issue persits, try the following and verify the results.
- Rename catalogs folder
- Restart Backup Exec services
- Perform inventory
- Uncheck 'use storage media based catalogs' and then catalog the tapes

Please elaborate on the procedure used for uninstalling Backup Exec.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked
assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jim_Bollinger
Level 4
Renaming the catalogs folder has the effect of removing the database's knowledge of all media catalogs. This is not an enterprise-worthy solution.

I have had some success after turning storage-based media catalogs off, but Veritas should definitely acknowledge this software quality problem.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hi,

With reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress.

Thanks.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Udo_Czygan_2
Level 3
Hi,

my name is Udo, I´ve the same problem - can´catalog with V10.0 Rev. 5520.

Is there any solution besides unchecking media catalogs?

Regards Udo

mailto: udo.czygan@stuttgart.ihk.de

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Make sure you have installed the latest veritas device drivers are installed and please update us on the issue.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.Message was edited by:
Ashutosh Tamhankar

Chris_Gibson
Level 3
I have this same issue, i can catalog media backed up using version 10. However my older 9.1 media will not catalog (the tapes are the same only the data is older)

Wolfgang_Bruchh
Level 4
Hi, same problem. Same attempts to fix as above. Renamed catalogs folder as well, nothing worked. I strongly assume that this is an VEritas - ODBC issue.
Did anyone here try to run the DB to a dedicated SQL DB ?
However, I will try this during the week. A final statement if this was successful or not will be possible before the next 3 to 4 weeks. Why? : Because all standard stuff worked well for 2 weeks but then it failed with catalog errors. BTW: I used Media Based Catalogs and didn't truncate Catalog information at all. Devices: B2D and Tape. Ran Synthetic Backups as B2D2T.

No doubt: A hotfix supported by Veritas will be required. GO!Message was edited by:
Wolfgang Bruchhaeuser