Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Install Backup Exec windows Agent

Venom-777
Level 2
Partner

Hi,

I am encountering a severe issue with a Server 2008 R2 standard 64Bit. From a media server running Backup Exec 2010 R3, i try to install remote agent but it eventually fails with error "Error connecting to the remote server. Ensure the server is available, has WMI enabled, and is not blocked by a firewall.8."

I eventually got a Tech article describing a solution for such an error but its not working for me. I am not able to get GUID ect by following the step by step.

A manual install of the Windows agent works but the Backup exec windows agent does not start. There are windows services which are not being able to start.

The problem i am encountering is more of a Microsoft related problem of service not starting.

On Event viewer i am having these errors:

The Computer Browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error:

The dependency service or group failed to start.

The Server service depends on the Server SMB 1.xxx Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.

The Server SMB 1.xxx Driver service depends the following service: srv2. This service might not be installed.

Please advise on how i can extend my troubleshooting.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Venom-777
Level 2
Partner

Hi

Issue was resolved and it was related to windows.

I used a tool call "serviwin". Tool allows to display driver services.

Noticed that some required driver service were eventually not starting.

Login onto a good working server and run tool.In the tool you can browse registry key were particular service keys resides.

I exported the missing service driver keys.

Imported onto faulty server and restarted server.

Server booted fine without any errors.

Backup exec agent started without any issues. All depencdency windows services as well started fine.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Start by making sure that your AV isn't blocking beremote.exe, and if it is, exclude it from active scanning. Also make sure that port 10000 is open on any firewall on that server which will allow communication to flow between the media server and the remote server.

Thanks!

Venom-777
Level 2
Partner

Hi,

Antivirus installed on Media Server and on the Problematic server is SEP 11.

On other servers i never open any ports and port 10000 is automatically open when remote agent for windows is installed.

On my server beremote.exe is getting installed (Manually only) but not being able to start due to service dependency.

Windows Firewall is turned off.

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...then this can't be a Backup Exec problem...check the link below, but as you said, it appears to be a Microsoft issue:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1044596-solved-windows-explorer-crashes-repeatedly.html

Venom-777
Level 2
Partner

Hi

Issue was resolved and it was related to windows.

I used a tool call "serviwin". Tool allows to display driver services.

Noticed that some required driver service were eventually not starting.

Login onto a good working server and run tool.In the tool you can browse registry key were particular service keys resides.

I exported the missing service driver keys.

Imported onto faulty server and restarted server.

Server booted fine without any errors.

Backup exec agent started without any issues. All depencdency windows services as well started fine.