cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Inventory or Catalog LTO2 Tapes

pingalls
Level 3

We recently upgraded to Backup Exec 12. I am trying to do a restore with older LTO2 tapes. I keep getting this error when I try to Inventory and Catalog: Inventory Device 00206 -- The job failed with the following error: The job has reported multiple errors. See the job log for details.

We are currently using LTO4 tapes and they work just fine for both. Is this a media/bar code setting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pingalls
Level 3

This problem was resolved in August and i should have posted the solution. The LTO-2 tapes had LTO-1 labels. Thank you to all who replied.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I think we need more detail from the job log itself to help with your problem.

pingalls
Level 3

Here is the Job Log.

Server name : WEBCRAFTERS14
Job name    : Inventory Device 00205
Job log     : C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEX_WEBCRAFTERS14_22251.xml
Device name : MSL4048

Utility Job Information

Slot Barcode Media Label Status Device
35 000581   incompatible media  
Incompatible media has been detected in the slot. The most likely causes for this error are: The library or tape drive hardware is reporting an incompatible media error, or the library has Barcode rules enabled and a Barcode rule does not exist for the Barcode in the slot, or there is no tape drive in the library that is compatible with the media in the slot as specified by the matching Barcode rule.

Job Completion Status
Job started     : Monday, August 20, 2012 7:15:26 AM
Job ended       : Monday, August 20, 2012 7:15:52 AM
Final error: 0xe000821e - Library error - incompatible storage media detected in robotic library.

Final error category: Backup Media Errors
Completed status: Failed

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Edited didn't refresh the page, your posted job log and my comment was at same time. Please check link below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH60041 http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH89508 Thanks

pingalls
Level 3

i dont believe this is a hardware issue. The tapes are recognized and sorted into the correct media sets. I just cant inventory and catalog them to run a restore

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Have you check both the link which I have mentioned above as I have edited my post ,I had given one link before considering you hadn't posted job log ,but then I have posted 2 link as per the error in job log see if that helps. Thanks

pingalls
Level 3

i have looked at the second post before and thought that maybe that was a solution. However, I cannot find the property settings for the robotic library in BE2012.

Thanks for the help.

pingalls
Level 3

Can anyone help me locate these settings in BE2012?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH89508

Thanks,

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You have not mentioned the tape drive specification. LTP 4 tapes are working fine, but those medias does work well with LTO 5 drives also where LTO 2 medias can't be read.

EDIT: barcode rules can't be enabled/set from GUI in BE 2012. You would need to use BEMCLI to do so.

pingalls
Level 3

Tape drive specifications are for LTO-4 tapes. Again, The library can read the barcode and knows the media set but i cant catalog them. Is this what you were asking?

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What tape drive(s) are you using?

Are you using bar code rules?

Assuming you are not using bar code rules, the "incompatible media" is likely to be coming straight from your hardware.

I would suggest using tracer to see what the hardware is reporting.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49432

pkh
   VIP    Certified

LTO5 tape drives can read/write LTO4 tapes, but they cannot read LTO2 tapes, but LTO4 tape drives should be able to read LTO2 tapes.  If you are sure that your tape drives are LTO4, then you should check with your tape drive manufacturer as to why it cannot read LTO2 tapes.

When the library read barcode labels, it does not read the actual tape.  Hence there is no error.

I noticed in your earlier post that the barcode label for the tape which has the error is 000581.  There is only 6 characters.  You should configure your library to report the full 8 characters of the barcode and not to truncated either the prefix or suffix of the barcode label.  For example, for HP libraries, you should see 000581L2, instead of 000581, in BE.  The L2 is important because it denotes a LTO2 tape.

pingalls
Level 3

The tape drives were able to read and catalog LTO-2 tapes prior to the BE2012 upgrade. If I need to use BEMCLI commands. that is beyond my knowledge. I was hoping it was just a setting. Does anyone know the number to tech support so they can view my problem and help fix.

Thanks

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Have a look here: http://www.symantec.com/support/techsupp_contact_phone.jsp

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What tape drive(s) are you using?

Are you using bar code rules?

Nabil_polska
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Which Drivers you are using ?

and the device firmware is updated ?

first restart BE services and run inventory one more time, and check the Adam logs if there is some erros if yes post pls

pingalls
Level 3

This problem was resolved in August and i should have posted the solution. The LTO-2 tapes had LTO-1 labels. Thank you to all who replied.