cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Log onto MAPI with the specified credentials... E00002FE

Lee_Chisholm
Level 4

Hello,

Yes, it's another GRT issue here, although this time round I've done everything possible to get this working, but to no ovail.

The exact error message is - Cannot log onto MAPI with the specified credentials. Review the resource credentials for the job, and then run the job again

I have Exchange 2007 (no service packs) installed on a Server 2003 R2 SP2 64bit machine, running Backup exec 12.5 (all all latest SPs and hotfixes)

I have followed all examples provided in the link below to the letter of the law.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64095

I have used the tool MFCMAPI on my Exchange to open mailboxes to view their property, with user credentials used for the jobs.

My server has hotfix KB940349-v3 installed, along with the latest CDO, and VSS SDK.

I have edited the registry to enter DWORD - E2K7_MBOX 

I have edited the registry to extend the timeout for Mcal..? (Sorry, I cannot remember the exact name of this)

I have tried multiple usernames, to no ovail. Copied both MAPI32.dll and esa.dll to confirm they are both the same version.

B2D results in the same. If disable GRT, it backs up fine.

.... I'm running out of ideas completely.

Does anyone have any other advice that differs from what I've posted previously?

Thank you very much for your help.

Lee.

18 REPLIES 18

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Try creating a new logon account for backup of exchage with all rights and permission

Lee_Chisholm
Level 4

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for your very quick response!

This is the first thing listed in the link I provided - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64095, which I have followed, extensively.

Unfortunately I've done this twice, with both unique usernames, with both mailboxes added to the GAL, and both activated.

Can I please add that I have had this working. Unfortunately though, one morning the jobs just failed. There was no changes implemented to cause this.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Is exchange 2007 sp3? If yes then with BE 12.5 exchange 2007 is not supported it is supported from BE 2010

Thank You

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Upgrade your server to version 2010 r2 or r3 if possible.

Lee_Chisholm
Level 4

Hello,

Sorry, I should have included all this information in my initial post - It's standard Exchange Server 2007 (no service packs).

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 64bit SP2

Lee_Chisholm
Level 4

RahulG, 

I am looking for a fix, rather than an overhaul of the system (just yet anyways). The fact that it has worked on this system indicates that it does indeed work, and a complete upgrade isn't necessarily required. To upgrade fully, I require request for change documentation that requires signed off approval etc. This takes time. 

I do appreciated your comments though, and like I said initially; Any help is appreciated!

Lee.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

When you implemented the E2K7_MBOX  registry were you able to expand individual mailboxes in the backup selection ?

Also what were the results when you used the MFCMAPI on Exchange to open mailboxes ?

Did you Tried running FixMapi ?

Find the all version of  MAPISVC.INF on the server and make sure they are of same size .

Lee_Chisholm
Level 4

No I wasn't. I enabled legacy support so I could expand these mailboxes, but unfortunately I just receive the MAPI error when I do so. The funny thing is, it did work for 1 evening in the past 2 weeks, but then it failed again and presented me with the usual MAPI error.

when I use MFCMAPI on Exchange to open mailboxes, I can open whatever mailbox I like. I tested by opening my own private mailbox and I was presented with a list of my folders, including the content etc etc. It worked perfectly. I then tried to replicate this by using an account that did not have full permissions required for MAPI, and it did not open correctly. This is leading me to believe that MAPI is indeed setup correctly on the exchange server...... It's a puzzler.

I've since created a brand new user account with permissions in place but unfortunately I just receive a new - One or more of the databases for this storage group are currently dismounted. This backup is incomplete. Make sure that all databases are mounted, and then resubmit the backup job. ----- Please do not read to much into this and deflect from my original issue. I believe the above may be due to the account not replicating through the GAL just yet (even though in owa it's populated already).

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Did you  Compare the MAPISVC.INF files in c:\program files\common files\system\msmapi\1033 and c:\windows\system32.
If one is larger than the other copy the larger file over the smaller.
Run fixmapi.exe: Start > Run type fixmapi and hit Enter or click on OK

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

1.Also try Uninstall and reinstall MAPI/CDO.

2. Implement the following registry key

Add a DWORD value called MonadRpcTimeout in the Registry on the Backup Exec server and the Exchange server into the following location:
HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Exchange

Set the value of MonadRpcTimeout to 3600    (in decimal)

Restart the backup exec services.

There might be a delays in communication with the Domain Controllers during a backup which might be causing issue so this will increase the timeout period

Lee_Chisholm
Level 4

Thanks for all your help RahulG.

I will follow your first example as I have not done this yet.

I have uninstalled MAPI/CDO this morning already on both servers (for the second time may I add).  I have also added this registry entry a couple of days ago as part of trouble shooting. Since entering it, I have restarted both servers after entering the update. 

Lee_Chisholm
Level 4

RahulG.

Which server should I check for these? Both Exchange and Backup Server?

On my Exchange server, This file is present in (and exclusively in): 

• C:\Windows\SysWOW64. (please remember, this is a 64bit server)

On my Backup server this file is present in: 

• C:\Windows\System32

My Backup server currently has the '1033' folder, along with a '2057' folder, but neither had a MAPISVC.INF file.

I have since copied the file into both locations on our Backup Server. Can you please confirm if it's necessary to do the same on the Exchange server?

....is there something wrong with the installation of CDO/MAPI?

Lee.

Lee_Chisholm
Level 4

UPDATE:

Fixmapi results in

---------------------------

MAPI Repair Tool
LoadLibrary: GetLastError = 126
OK   

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Just find all the instance of MAPISVC.INF file.on the server and make sure the size of the file is same . If it is not then replace it by the bigger one .

refer the following doc http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320444

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Its issue related to MAPI which you need to fix and you may have to get in touch with Microsoft .

Lee_Chisholm
Level 4

Hello,

So last night I created a brand new user account, along with uninstalling CDO, then installing it again on both servers. (reboot after uninstall, and reboot after install).

I ran a few test jobs which seemed to work perfectly.

This morning, the job failed due to a VSS writer issue. I have restarted the server, which solved the VSS writer issue.

Unfortunately though, the MAPI issue has came back and I'm greeted with the same failed MAPI credentials issue.

There seems to be a pattern here as the first time I thought I fixed it, these were the exact steps that I followed......

Any Ideas?

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Well I guess you would need to open a support case with Backup exec so then can webex and help you resolve the issue .

Lee_Chisholm
Level 4

I'm currently liaising with them as we speak.

Thanks for all your help RahulG. I will update this call with our findings. Hopefully the next update will be a solution.

Lee.