cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Run Inventory Job

Debbie_Gregory
Level 2
I have BackUp Exec 9.1 BLD 4691.1 installed on a Win2000 Advanced Server. I have a DELL PowerVault 128T autoloader. I'm using the latest BackUp Exec drivers. I've updated the drivers and firmware (1.62D) on the unit. I've loaded the unit with the approved LTO tapes. Backup Exec recognizes the autoloader and it's tape drive. It does an initilization and scan just fine. It lists all the tapes (after scan) in the Devices tab. The tapes all have bar codes which it reads correctly. The problem is with the inventory job. When I try to run it in order to get the tapes recognized, it sits in the job monitor and the status stays at "ready". I've run it with the BEMCMD command line utility and it returns -1 which indicates the inventory job failed. I've confirmed that the drive is cabled correctly; the tapes do not show up as cleaning tapes. I would appreciate your help in directing me to the correct course of action. I need to get this back up tape drive up and running ASAP. Since it won't inventory the tapes, it won't run a back up because it doesn't think there is media in the drives. Please help ASAP.
5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6
> The tapes all have bar codes which it reads correctly.

double check closely what it reads.Is there an addition or omission of the Letter L?

Debbie_Gregory
Level 2
I will have to check on Monday since I am "outta here" today. However, why would the omission or addition of the letter "L" make a difference? FYI, I don't have bar code rules turned on.

Stumpr2
Level 6
By not having barcode rules turned on then you are using the default. LTO tape labels cause a problem in Netbackup by offsetting the volser. Barcode rules are used to fix it. I don't knoq if this problem also exists in Backup Exec. Just a hunch.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Just check if the Barcode rules are turned on on device and also in Backup Exec from device properties ..

Check for any alert generated when you run Inventory Job

Also update us on the status of the Issue ..

Thank you
Gauri

Debbie_Gregory
Level 2
The solution was to take off the bar codes and label the tapes manually. Once I put blank labels on the tapes, Back Up Exec started playing nice and I was able to run inventory jobs on all tapes. I am now able to backup (tested) and restore (tested). Thanks everyone.