Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Select Datadomain as device for Restore Job

Conn
Level 2

Hello Community,

Topology: One Server

Storage Devices: Dell Tape Library, EMC Datadomains (610 and 630)

Backup Exec 2012 ver. 14.0

Background:

Backups are generally set to backup first to the Data Domain 630, which then duplicates the backup set to the Data Domain 610, as well the Tape Library (a specific partition to be exact)

Problem:

When needing to restore a a backup, I have to retrieve the tape which is stored offsite. Not one of the Data Domains are selectable as the storage device to recover from.

What do I need to do to be able to restore the backups straight from the Data Domains without having to recall a Tape ?

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
On the Storage tab, when you click on the DD's, can you see the backup sets that you want?

Conn
Level 2

I've added some snips of the devices and device options to illustrate me problem

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Your screenshots do not show anything useful. Click on the DD and then backup sets. See whether the backup sets are still available. If they have been groomed by DLM then they would not be available for restore

Conn
Level 2

Hi PKH,

I have looked, and am not seeing those exact backup sets on the DD storage.

I further tested by selecting a server whose backup set I did see, and it gives me the option to restore from either the Data Domain or a tape drive.

So I think we can safely assume that the restore does provide me options to elect the Data Domain if the backup set exists on it.

Now I need to figure out why my backup sets are not on the Data Domain.

If I set the retention for 1 week, would the DD automatically delect the backup set in 1 week, or would it retain it, and delete to make space when space is needed, deleting sets that have passed their retention period ?

Conn
Level 2

My reply seems to have disappeared.

Ok, I had a look:

1. No backup sets on the data domain for the backup I am trying to restore

2. Checked the restore for another set that I saw the backup set for and it gave me a choice of data domain or tape drive.

So I think its safe to conclude that the the backup sets were deleted because of the retention time I set?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. That would be the logical conclusion